ARRI SR2 cleaning / white mold / white dirt?

Andrius Zemaitis

Hello,

I have just purchased ARRI SR2 from ebay. Overall camera is in nice mechanical condition but there is a WHITE DIRT in magazine. Is it possible to clean? Is it very bad situation? Is it possible to work run film with such a magazine ? Same situation is near mirror shutter on plastic cone.

The viewfinder is also a bit foggy.

Can you recommend some tips how I can clean by myself without service?

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Premium Member

This is an issue I've seen often with SR/SR2 mags. The paint Arri used inside the mags was rubberised to help contain noise, and over time and depending on storage conditions it degrades to the point where it becomes white and sticky.

This can be a real issue if the film rubs against a sticky magazine platine or door, and picks up debris or simply jams.

I never found a simple solution to remedy it. Washing down the affected surface with dishwashing detergent was about the best option I found but that only helped short term. In the end only stripping off the rubberised paint and repainting those surfaces cured the problem.

If it's not too sticky you can probably live with it. Maybe try storing the mags with the doors open in a dry, sunny spot.