Angel has Fallen

• Premium Member

I don't want to be overly harsh, but its difficult to find many positives in this film.

For a huge special effects film, the explosions, fire and gunshots were probably the best I have seen. They certainly spent money here.  Some of the suspense was created in very nice editing, and some of the best visuals in the film were created with plain old natural sunlight. 

The opening doesn't help the digital sensor at all, lots of scenes are shot on a long lens for no reason I can discern, and the overall look is simply chaos. 

There are multiple buzzed focus shots from shooting wide open, and most of the film feels like it was shot on a 100mm lens.

With 30 producers on tap, I can't believe someone didn't say something during screening.   However, I'm sure I have no idea what makes a profitable film these days, because this film grossed between 50-70 million in the past three days, on a 40 million budget.

Has anyone else seen it?  Care to guide my eyes to the goodness?  I can't see it.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it on opening night. It's got that same old, flat gray/yellow/purple digital look. Eh. And the script was written on a napkin.

I will say that the nighttime sequence with the explosions in the forest is phenomenal. There's a shot of one of the mercenaries running and being swallowed by the flames that looks absolutely real.