Advice cinematographic style

Hi everybody

I get the opportunity to make my first low budget movie.

Low budget means that I have to work with DSLR camera’s, work with natural light and shoot in documentary style.

It’s a historical film about one of the most famous gangs of Belgium in the 18th century. The theme is heartlessness and the tone of the movie is very dark and pessimistic.

I’m thinking about the colors in Tarkovski’s Stalker or The Mill and the Cross (Rudger Hauer)

https://www.tor.com/2017/08/03/andrei-tarkovskys-stalker-tracking-the-unknowable/ 

https://moviesalamark.com/2016/05/27/the-mill-and-the-cross/

Is there someone who can help me with the development of the cinematography? What kind of DSLR and lens do I need (want to use one camera and one lens)? 

All suggestions are welcome!

Thank you.

Greetings

Rocky

Stalker03-740x416.jpg

Although I cannot personally help you in Belgium (for obvious reasons lol), I can at least say that I would personally recommend into looking for a Canon 5D Mark III since it would be the most compatible camera for installing Magic Lantern onto, allowing you to shoot in RAW which would allow for quite some flexibility in post (where you'll be able to do some color grading and a bit of FilmConvert to give it a grungier, aged look). Plus, if you can tolerate some cropping, you can record up to a 3.5 K resolution if you're into upscaling that to a proper 4K digital master. As for lenses, however, I cannot give you any real recommendations other than to look into getting a decently ranged zoom lens since they'd sort of allow you to experiment with focal lengths but a bigger priority I see here right now is that above all else, see if you can get your hands on something that can take in a lot of light given the fact that you'll be working with natural light.

Edited by Lucas Henkel