Light panel and diffusion frame on same stand

Stephen Lewis

I'm doing food shoots in tight spaces like kitchens and dining areas in restaurants.  I have some Clar Luxpando LED panels which i love but since they are panels and don't have bowens mounts I can't just slap a softbox on the front.  To minimize the footprint of my lighting gear, can you recommend a way to rig a diffusion panel to the lightstand itself? Some of these areas are pretty tight and I'd love to avoid placing a c-stand with diff for each light. 

On 9/9/2019 at 11:26 AM, Ed Conley said:

Those are very small and fiddley. Not big enough to I'm thinking 24x36 or 30x36 frame. Is there some brilliant little bit of grip equipment that would let me rig a frame to the center riser if a c stand or light stand?

• Premium Member

Light on the baby pin and Cardellini+Gobo Head+20” c-stand arm on the stand mast? Seems like a chimera would be simpler and take up less space, but there you go. 

Alternately, what about building a custom diffusion box for the lights using frosted plastic? I think Litepanels made something like a plastic take out tray that velcroed to their 1x1 panels and stood out a few inches. Something like that? 

Triple baby offset with light on the back and diff on the front? 
https://americangrip.com/product/baby-triple-offset-arm-30/

Or use a grip head combo stand and put the lamp on a baby pin/butt plug and then put an arm in the grip head to hold the diff.  Combo stands take up a bit of space, but you can skinny the legs somewhat. 

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Yes you can. One of my old Swedish gaffers used to use a C-stand with a flag arm at 45 degrees (and clamped in middle). At the knuckle end he put a 4x4 bounce card, at the pointy, other end of flag arm, he put a little Redhead light bouncing into the card. It was a single stand, moveable soft unit, almost like an umbrella light. Worked well. Today with LED soft units, it's less need for it, but good trick to know.

• Premium Member

This is something I do all the time. Ain't nobody got time for dual-standage!

- Castor wheels for the stand (for rapid repositioning)

- Triple header to hold your lightsource(s) + grip head

-  Get an umbrella (sized to taste) with either Diffusion or White for bouncing into

377717786_ToyotaBTS1copy.thumb.jpg.4e7bb090e06d1fd7e46e7d6969c2b4df.jpg