Angenieux-Zoom Type A 12-120

Michael Carter

The view tube image is stuck in the vertical position. With the eyepiece tube on the left and the lens on the right, as if it would be attached to an Auricon camera, Which way do I turn the grooved ring on the eye tube? Normally, it would be counter-clockwise. I have a 5/64 Allen wrench in a slot on the barrel through the set screw hole on the smooth ring further towards the axle, if that makes any sense. I remember something about these being threaded backwards? Anyway, I got it stuck and now I cannot loosen it to put it back into the horizontal position. Please help.

Never-mind. I had been using a Bell & Howell Angenieux 17-68 lens that is very similar. However, the larger one will not rotate the frame in the viewer like the smaller. So, clockwise loosened the grooved ring on the large view tube. Then, the smooth part was rotated and locked the swing arm. That is all it does. Disappointing. The lens works if the viewing tube is in line with the lens, that gives a horizontal frame. It cannot be used on a side to give a horizontal image. There ARE some tiny screws on the viewing tube closer to the eyepiece from the grooved ring, but I will not undo them. It works on top of a camera. Good enough. 

• Premium Member

It's been a long time since I worked on a dog-leg zoom..

So does the actual image remain locked as you rotate the lens around its axis? It's not just the framing mask that needs rotating? Can you take photos?