Sign in to follow this  
Anne Bauchens

Professional image pipe line(learning resource)

Good day forum,

Is there any resources(e.g.case studies, videos, books, websites...etc) that demonstrate professional image acquisition workflow (from set to dailies), covering practice and equipment used in the process. I found the below so far:

1. Capturing the Shot: Fundamentals, Tools, Techniques, and Workflows for Digital Cinematography
  2. The Filmmaker’s Guide to Digital Imaging: for Cinematographers, Digital Imaging Technicians, and Camera Assistants
  3. DITs and Data Management for Features, TV and Commercials

It changes fairly quickly and is often rather different from job to job, but it's a very broad subject.

I'm not aware of anywhere that details it all but perhaps there should be.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

It changes fairly quickly and is often rather different from job to job, but it's a very broad subject.

I'm not aware of anywhere that details it all but perhaps there should be.

Its one critical joint in the image chain yet there is no information or best practices available, I think any example would do, just to get the key elements, things like testing/creating  LUTs, Raw monitoring, exposure decisions, DP colorist communication, gear...etc

I think the issue is that it's not one critical point, it's about a thousand critical points.

To cover it all in any sort of depth you're talking about a book's worth of stuff, and it'd require regular updating.

Perhaps there's a case for a wiki or something like that.

• Like 1

you should check out http://www.yedlin.net.  Theres definitely multiple levels to image pipeline.  You can do it in a very simple boiler plate fashion with good results or you can do it completely custom.  Depends on how much control you want and how deep you want to go math and coding wise into digital acquisition and display prep. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 7:56 PM, Ryan Emanuel said:

you should check out http://www.yedlin.net.  Theres definitely multiple levels to image pipeline.  You can do it in a very simple boiler plate fashion with good results or you can do it completely custom.  Depends on how much control you want and how deep you want to go math and coding wise into digital acquisition and display prep. 

Great insights yet its weird how the amount of writing and material in Yeldin's website is huge relative to the benefit you get out of it, he dances around the subject without really giving  you something substantial that you can practically use or build on... Very tormenting 

9 hours ago, Anne Bauchens said:

Great insights yet its weird how the amount of writing and material in Yeldin's website is huge relative to the benefit you get out of it, he dances around the subject without really giving  you something substantial that you can practically use or build on... Very tormenting 

I felt the same way but for him to explain in detail you might need to know linear algebra, multivariable calculus, and some python. Most filmmakers don't, and explaining the how might not be possible without the math.  I think thats why he sticks to the greater concepts and suggests that people try to research on their own.  

• Like 1