Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Do you like shooting with superwides?

Personally I love shooting with a 16mm - gives a wide and / or intimate feel (depending on use) without feeling fisheye.

Wider than that is great fun but also very hard to justify in most contexts outside of necessity (super small locations) or a strong style choice. That said, big fan of barrel distortion and very wide lenses - just gotta know when it enhances and when it becomes overly apparent and breaks the immersion.

I shot with the 14mm yesterday.  It was a very small room and I needed to see almost everything in it. And it saved the scene.  Couldn't tell this story without it.

This is only the 2nd time I've used the lens on this project, and it has remarkably little distortion, considering the field of view.  Perhaps, a 12mm would have been better, but... I didn't have one with us.

When you get to 9mm, that is really kind of a "fish eye" effect, and one needs to be careful that one doesn't see one's feet or the tripod in the shot 🙂  And moving the camera with a 9mm really shows off the distortion and creates a kind of dreamy effect, especially on a Steadicam where the speed change of the steps becomes quite pronounced.

Most of all, I'm grateful that the producers haven't demanded that I send the lens back to the rental house, as I use it so little.  But, I can't accurately predict when it will be the very thing needed when we're shooting.  So, these two shots will actually cost an extra $1000, but really really worth it to me!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I love super-wides for handheld long-take shots. It's stabilization via the lens

I just directed a short and we leaned quiet heavily on the 14mm. In the past I usually shoot on longer lenses. 

Shooting on wider lenses was a conscious effort to push myself out of my comfort zone and embrace a stronger look. Hopefully I won't be cursing myself when I start the edit