High Speed Shooting and Limited Space

Kurtis Myers

Hey guys, need some advice on a setup. We are shooting a high speed ad and I'm wondering what my options are to get at the light level we need to be at.

I have to light a 30x30' space and shoot at 600fps. Will be shooting at 1600iso and would like to be at around a 2.8 with some wiggle room to stop down if necessary. This puts me at roughly needing 150-250fc over the entire area. 

The location has pretty low ceilings (13') and we are going for a general soft top light like you would get from a soft box. I don't really have the head room to build a box without it being very low profile, and then you can't put very powerful units in there to get exposure. I can bounce light off of a 20x20 or 30x30 though but I'm wondering how many units I will need to get the proper exposure. 

Does anyone have any experience with Luminys Lablight 30K's or their soft suns and would you recommend those over going with something like a 12k/18k? If I went with 18ks about how many would I need if they were placed on stands outside of the set walls shooting up into the bounce. 30x30' is a pretty big area and I'm scratching my head about how many lamps it will require to get my exposure. 

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: 

No responses but we completed the shoot so I'll leave you guys with an update. 

Used a total of 18 5k's with 10 rigged overhead shooting down through a 30x30 half grid. Most of the lights were maybe 5-6 feet over the grid so they didn't have much coverage of the diffusion individually but together covered the whole 30x30. We then added 5 additional 5k's on stands sticked up over the set walls and shooting down into the diffusion. The logistics of the stage made rigging in the ceiling a bit difficult. The grid was 13 feet high and the set walls were 12-12 1/2 feet high so I couldn't rig from the grid but had to put the lights above the grid with some rigging. We then attached the 30x30 to the grid and so the diffusion was pretty much right on top of the set walls. Not ideal, and I was worried about falloff from head to toe, but it only wound up being about a 1/2 stop. We had an additional 5k w/ a chimera for fill on individual faces and a 10k through a 8x8 1/2 grid as front fill as well. Got us to an even 2.8 @ 800iso @ 600fps across the whole set. Also, going with tungsten saved quite a bit of money for production vs rigging a whole ton of sky panels in the ceiling.