Apperantly AZ Spectrum made an Aaton HD video tap

Robin Phillips

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Not sure why they haven't done it. They work just like the older taps, with external electronics. 

Not really. The one Andrew from AZ builded for my SR2 uses the Place/Space where the original Exposure Meter was. The Sensor use the prism for the Exposure meter and gots the power from the internal 12V. The SR Exposure meter unit is really easy to change.

The 416 IVS uses a more complicated housing and a prism below the viewfinder, the replacement should be more complicated and far more expensive.
Maybe so much more expensive that you ask yourself if it's worth it at all. 

However its pretty easy and inexpensive on a SR2 & easy on a SR3… not sure why you should go for a 416 then.

I love mine. Works pretty well! The Teradek´s are a bit hungry on the SR2 NiCd.

hd_sr2.thumb.jpg.4ece4fb8a5a7a6207edc4e274032529b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, JJ Walker said:

I suppose this same complexity afflicts the Arricam LT, as well. Indiecam in Austria makes an HD Video Assist for the LT, priced at 11,700 EUR.

Hmm I think it can also be less complicated than Indiecam's Arricam Tap (I tried the prototype and it's a pretty pretty good tap that can clean the screen and so on...like the IVS).

The AZ version is less spectacular, you can not squeeze / rotate the picture, no Frameline/Footagecounter/Title Generator.

But it still does a pretty good job for around $ 2k! And better Image Quality as from the older SD IVS.
I think with some 3D printing / custom milling it might be possible to create the AZ version for the 416 - maybe ask Andrew / AZ directly. But at a time where you can get a decent Super16 SRI/2/3 or XTR for around 5k + 2K for a super light HD tap, I would not spend the same amount on a HD tap for the 416? Maybe Rentals will, but when i asked Vantage recently about HD upgrades for their 416 they wasn´t sure if they need it. I do not know now if the revived popularity of 16m film will change that. Or if at the still reasonably low camera prices the owner operator status keeps this business. The AZ HD Integrated/Lightweight Tap for the SR & Aaton keeps the weight pretty close to the 416. I do not feel much difference, both cameras are pretty light depending on the lens and setup around them.

However i really can recommend the AZ HD Tap for the SR and AZ Spectrums work. It works great and its worth it!

• Like 1