Sony fx9

Robin R Probyn

I guess it at least gives you some more flexibility. 4K @ s35, hopefully the option of full hight anamorphic and full frame for the DOF nutters. Quite a lot of cheap cine primes are FF (Xeens, CNE,  CP etc). 

If the auto focus is a good as it looks, maybe cheap electronic zooms are going to be a workable budget option 

Even if your mostly using it in 4K S35mm mode, its still at a good price point and the colour science looks nice.

It looks like a good flexible camera offer, at a good price, with built in ND's. 

• Premium Member

The images released so far look nice. Looks like it doesn’t record 6K, only downsamples to 4K. 

Sounds like it is limited to a 1.89:1 crop of the sensor in full frame mode, so full width but not full height 1.50:1 like the Venice. Significantly smaller sensor area than the C500Mk2 in full frame mode. 

Power is 19v, but the Sony camcorder-style batteries are 14.4v. I’m curious if this means the camera can run on existing V-lock plates with a d-tap to DC cable and existing 12-14.4v power supplies, or whether it needs new 19v accessories.

I don’t see anyone trying to record 16-bit raw with the accessory back. TC input is already on the camera.

Will it have XAVC 480? Don’t really want to go back to XAVC 300. 

12g SDI is nice. 4K log Prores via SDI to a recorder. 

Autofocus good, E-Mount meh. Every lens adapter will need a lens support, sigh. What was wrong with FZ Mount again? I suspect most people will be using their EF lenses for full frame (at least for everyday use). 

Viewfinder, still awkward. Would love to hear if the F5/55 viewfinders are compatible.

Curious to see whether this or the C500Mk2 wins this market segment. Probably Sony again, though Canon’s product looks superior this time around.

the target market is not needing 6K or RAW.. but both would be possible I guess.. the 6K idea was to get a "true" 4K after debayer.. dual ISO from the Venice and FF sensor less grain in Slog ..dont need to over expose it.. Rez of EVF is higher but that long loupe is still not good.. as with the Fs7 alot of people will use the Zacuto EYE and keep the EVF as a small on board monitor.. F5/55 EVF doesn't work with Fs7/Fx9 unfortunately..it is basically a FF fs7 with some nice features from the Venice.. a big one being the new Venice color science in out of the box mode.. the variable ND is a fantastic feature.. once used anything else is rubbish..the dual ISO is very good..

Sony are coming out with some new BP U series batteries ,but again alot of people will go with rear rail mounted V mount 3rd party solutions.. of which there are many thanks to the fs7 popularity .. but nice to have the option I think if you want to go small /light weight ..

And again they have gone with a very ugly designed ext back..  but this time you dont need it for TC in !.. I wouldn't be buying it as I dont need the drop in receiver ..and broadcast out out lets .. why they didn't go for the much nicer R5/7 design I will never know..!  no raw recording in the back.. Atoms are going to make a recorder for it..but not something I need .. 

17-9 (sorry Sat ? ). next firm ware.. the sensor is bigger than the venice by a tiny amount I believe so in theory Anamorphic is possible .. Unlike Canon Sony do have a good recent history of many free upgrades through FW.. the f5/55 had 9 of them and greatly improved the cameras.. Canon is nice..but 50% more expensive and your likely not get anything more expect fixes rather than up grades via FW..

I would guess mostly Sony stills lenses will be used .. as all the A7 series folks have those lenses ..like me.. and all the people who have jumped ship from Canon to smaller mirror less ..

FZ definitely dead.. they want to make everything E mount.. (they showed this with the Venice being native locking E mount )..agreed crap mount for cine lenses in the original fs7 but since the fs7II the PL type locking E mount  and stronger chassis make it all good.. same as PL in sturdiness

I,ll be getting this camera as its great for my work.. and the FF will be a bonus for the millions of interviews I shoot each year in tiny rooms in Tokyo ? ..I,ll miss the side LCD.. and long battery life.. but at the price its a total steal.. Im of an age when even in the broadcast world, let alone features..  $10,000 was pretty much the price of a top end Mattbox and a couple of filters .. I cant believe the price of this camera ,the C500 is a good $5000 more but still cheap.. you can make back the cost of the camera in a week these days .. it used to be counted in years !! and look how much camera you get.. Im sure the f5/55 will be gone soon .. it will be the s35 Fx6.. due soon .. Fx9 ..then a jump to the Venice ..  there is nothing in between any more as the cheaper cameras have better functions, spec,s than the older 15/25 K$ range had 5 years ago..

Seems the market is changing .. there are the $10,000 max cameras .. then not much in between..till $30-40,000..I think the C500 will come down in price if the Fx9 out sells it.. 

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, Robin R Probyn said:

17-9 (sorry Sat ? )

You heretic! ?

Thanks for info re: viewfinder. I truly despise that FS7 loupe but there’s no standing in the way of ‘progress’ I suppose. 

The lack of XAVC 480 doesn’t bother you though? I really don’t like to use 300 anymore if it can be helped. But then, I’m the guy who still  likes to shoot 5:1 on Red cameras when others are fine with 8:1 and 10:1. Maybe the 6K oversampling will help even things out. 

1 hour ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

You heretic! ?

Thanks for info re: viewfinder. I truly despise that FS7 loupe but there’s no standing in the way of ‘progress’ I suppose. 

The lack of XAVC 480 doesn’t bother you though? I really don’t like to use 300 anymore if it can be helped. But then, I’m the guy who still  likes to shoot 5:1 on Red cameras when others are fine with 8:1 and 10:1. Maybe the 6K oversampling will help even things out. 

Doesn't really bother me .. TBH I think it will be implemented .. at least in s35 crop mode.. yes fs7 EVF rubbish.. but the fx9 one has the same res as the f5/55 LCD at least.. but that loupe is just too big and long..  I,ll  be using Zacuto Eye most likely.. I have one as a spare at the moment ..  the over Sampling does look better .. 4k after debayer is about 3K.. plus the bigger pixels good for low light/noise in Slog.. if they are charging Venice owners $4K for the 6K license to R7.. there is just no way they could offer it free in a $10K camera.. but who knows in the future.. look at the FW updates in the f5/55 .. some were pretty amazing for free.. Canon just never do this.. only fixers..

Yes shame about the EVF that was one thing I was really thinking they might change.. well most importantly the Rez has been shifted up alot.. but the design of the loupe is too big/long..  I could work off the monitor with glasses.. but I much prefer a real viewfinder.. My guess is the f5/55 has now reached the end of the road..Im sure they will still supply parts but definitely yesterdays news.. . there is a "new" Fs5 on the way too Fx6.. 

I,d hate to buy the fx9 and then a f6 comes along !.. but I cant see it happening.. the middle range in this market is going away.. the $15 -25 range.. thats where I think the C500II could miss out.. or they will do the usual Canon thing of dropping the price $5K + when it doesn't sell like the C300II and the C700 that no one bought ..