Giray Izcan

Camera Suggestion

Hello all, 

My son is turning 7 soon. I would like to get him a fully automatic s8 camera but I'm not sure which one to get. I'm planning on getting him a projector as well for him to watch the stuff he shoots. Any suggestions?

Edited by Giray Izcan

Would your 7 year old son actually enjoy and embrace the limitations of super 8 or find it frustrating?

I'm a parent of a 7 year old, who's used to the instant feedback of electronic imaging. I suspect at this age it would be hard to get her to buy into film without getting frustrated by the lack of sound, short loads, wait for processing etc.. 

Maybe I'll look at doing some 35mm stills (build a pin hole camera etc) when she's a bit older. Right now her camerawork is a bit hit and miss - probably not worth the expense of super 8

(I also not a fan super 8 so take my comments with a pinch of salt)

I think it'd be best to reserve that sort of thing till he becomes old enough to properly appreciate film as a medium? I'd recommend it personally at like Middle School or High School level even rather than something a 7 year old would fiddle with?

The Minolta XL401 is a little S8 camera with a lot of features and a good lens. I think you can pick them up on Ebay for around $50

Canon AF-310XL. Probably the worst lens ever on a Super 8 camera and the autofocus only works when you first pull the trigger, but I've given these out to kids at events and gotten great results. These are inexpensive cameras so they don't have to feel bad if they drop it and destroy it.

When they are actually in focus it's not horrible...but even the out of focus bits can be fun if edited well.

I gave my nephew a cheap Chinon camera when we were all on a trip to Italy about 6 years ago. He was 9 at the time, and absolutely loved it. He was thrilled to see the footage a month later, because he had forgotten what he shot while we were there. It's ridiculous to think that a kid won't like that. He had so much fun. Also, he had no idea i was bringing it on the trip for him so the whole idea of shooting film was a foreign concept. He thought a lot about what he'd shoot, and actually made a pretty cool little film with the 2 rolls I gave him. 

• Like 2