It is hell being an old cameraman

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

When you stand for a short period of time your ankles and joints crack when you move and get in the sound. Heavy breathing has to be suppressed and gets in the sound. When you handhold on the shoulder heavy breathing can raise or lower the camera. Then your shoulder is pinched the next day from holding the camera. You are always choking up and trying not to cough.

…it is hell being an old cameraman

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Premium Member
On 9/21/2019 at 10:50 AM, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

When you stand for a short period of time your ankles and joints crack when you move and get in the sound. Heavy breathing has to be suppressed and gets in the sound. When you handhold on the shoulder heavy breathing can raise or lower the camera. Then your shoulder is pinched the next day from holding the camera. You are always choking up and trying not to cough.

…it is hell being an old cameraman

I don’t mean to pry but have you had a physical lately? If not, make it a priority. Hopefully it’s not anything more. I’m 58 years old and just had open heart surgery last week! I know once I recover, I’ll be good to go again. Best wishes to you. 

G

• Like 2

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, Gregory Irwin said:

I don’t mean to pry but have you had a physical lately? If not, make it a priority. Hopefully it’s not anything more. I’m 58 years old and just had open heart surgery last week! I know once I recover, I’ll be good to go again. Best wishes to you. 

G

Greg! I hope that you get better soon!!!

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Gregory Irwin said:

G

Kinda, just bloodwork at a free public health screening. They said borderline heart worries if I don't shape up.

Being mainly a still photog you never have the concerns I mention. Still camera is not heavy and no need to be perfectly quiet. So the problems of old age surfaced quick with film work. Plus my subject of 85 also chokes up and starts coughing when he has to speak for any length of time. Hopefully he is not shot with singing. Making the best of it anyway.

(And coughing can be a help when you need to mask the shutter sound with candid work. The Leica book even recommended it!)

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Premium Member
On 9/23/2019 at 2:49 AM, Gregory Irwin said:

G

Ouch! Sending good thoughts your way Greg. Get well soon.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Phil Rhodes said:

I was slightly alarmed when, recently, at the age of 40 I was pulled in for my first ever general-purpose physical.

Still, I'm the lucky one - nothing found. Get well soon, Greg.

Phil! First ever physical at 40??? Wow. That’s crazy! I’m glad you’re good and all but you should have a physical every year! I’ve had my physicals yearly since I was 10 years old. It was a physical that discovered my heart condition many years ago and paved the way towards me getting my own cardiologist and a long term care plan. It’s the most important thing you can do for yourself medically. I do realize that it’s a different medical system in England and one needs insurance here in the US (or pay out of pocket). Thankfully our union offers us amazing health insurance. Thanks for the well wish. 

G

13 hours ago, Gregory Irwin said:

I do realize that it’s a different medical system in England and one needs insurance here in the US (or pay out of pocket).

G

As we don't see the costs directly we tend just to go to the doctor when something is amiss. I'm 59 and have never had a medical examination as a matter of routine, as opposed to treating a condition. I would certainly not be able to pay for one.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Mark Dunn said:

As we don't see the costs directly we tend just to go to the doctor when something is amiss. I'm 59 and have never had a medical examination as a matter of routine, as opposed to treating a condition. I would certainly not be able to pay for one.

Understood. That’s the biggest difference between the medical systems of our countries. The US system operates prophylacticly in order to stay ahead of any condition and prevent rather than waiting for the condition to occur and then treat. 

G

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Greg.. just saw this.. hope you're recovering sir.. Im 59.. thought I was the only old guy.. glad there are others still out there !

Thanks Robin. I appreciate it. Lots of us old guys here!

G

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Well, it as the first time I'd ever been specifically called into the doctor's office because I was - what's the word - not young anymore.

I'd had an overall checkup when joining a new practice and various things happen in childhood. I'm not sure that, before 40, they'd call people in just for an on-spec checkup.

Mark, bear in mind that if you did actually end up paying for a private health assessment in the UK, it would be massively less expensive than in the USA, though that's a complicated comparison given the way the insurance companies strike deals with the providers over there.

P

On 10/1/2019 at 12:44 AM, Robin R Probyn said:

Greg.. just saw this.. hope you're recovering sir.. Im 59.. thought I was the only old guy.. glad there are others still out there !

59 you say..............there's more than one of us then.

3 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

Mark, bear in mind that if you did actually end up paying for a private health assessment in the UK, it would be massively less expensive than in the USA, though that's a complicated comparison given the way the insurance companies strike deals with the providers over there.

P

It's not that- my practice sent out an invite a couple of years ago for blood tests and so on, but I didn't respond. They get a payment for it. I'm due a visit for a couple of non-serious things so will probably take it up it then.

I was just pointing up the differences- I assume Americans do precautionary examinations because preventing a health problem there can save you from financial ruin. For an individual in the UK ability to pay generally has no impact on access to healthcare.

When I had frozen shoulder, an MRI scan was routine. It cost the NHS about £800. It cost me nothing. I couldn't have afforded it privately.

Edited by Mark Dunn

On 9/22/2019 at 12:49 PM, Gregory Irwin said:

I’m 58 years old and just had open heart surgery last week! I know once I recover, I’ll be good to go again. Best wishes to you. 

G

Hey Greg,

This is Tim Healy from Joker. Hope all is well by now and you are back to work. I've not had any serious health issues... But Janusz tried his best on WSS. Man does he love to light.. with everything and anything you can throw at it.

Best

Tim