Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Arseni Khachaturan

Arricam ST - noise - urgent

Recommended Posts

Hello,

all of a sudden today arricam st 4 perf started making this noise - vimeo link attached. Noise comes and goes regardless of magazine being attached to the camera. Noise can appear in a middle of a take and then go away in 30-40 seconds, then come back again. Film transport and shutter seems fine visually and the camera doesn't give any warnings. Nothing was done to the camera yesterday to give us a clue of the cause, except for regular daily cleaning with air. All tests prior to the shoot are totally fine.

Negative was examined throughout the day and has no scratches. Noise intensifies significantly when fps changed to 60. When fps slowed down - sound disappears. 

Tried adjusting pitch but to no result. Anyone came across the same issue?

 

https://vimeo.com/361685396

PASSWORD:    noise

 

Best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you probably need to take it to a technician familiar with Arricams.

If the noise happens without film, there is potentially something loose or scraping or simply in need of lubrication. Or possibly a film chip caught somewhere. 

If you turn the movement manually can you feel any tight spots? Does the movement heat up after it's been running for a while? You can remove the gate to inspect it yourself, but leave it to a tech to remove the movement or motor side cover for inspection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When was the last time it's been serviced? Sounds like a sticky bearing due to lack of lubrication. They're kind of lube hogs, they don't need much, but they do need some every 50,000ft or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyler Purcell said:

 They're kind of lube hogs, they don't need much, but they do need some every 50,000ft or so. 

Where did you hear that figure? 

50,000 ft is only about 9 hours of footage. A single feature can shoot several times that amount, and Arricams certainly don't need to go in for a lubrication service several times during a single feature film. That would be massively inconvenient. Unless they get contaminated the lubricants in an Arricam are usually good for several years. Way more than 9 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, cleaning a camera with compressed air is a bad idea.  You can blow film chips and shavings down into the movement.

Use a soft camel hair brush, orangewood sticks and a lint-free cloth instead.

Sounds like a bearing going dry.  If you keep shooting, it may seize. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Where did you hear that figure? 

50,000 ft is only about 9 hours of footage. A single feature can shoot several times that amount, and Arricams certainly don't need to go in for a lubrication service several times during a single feature film. That would be massively inconvenient. Unless they get contaminated the lubricants in an Arricam are usually good for several years. Way more than 9 hours.

Yea that number does sound awfully low doesn't it lol. Musta been 150,000ft that was the "recommended" service interval. I remember there being a 50 in there somewhere lol 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your input.

Indeed it does seem like a dry bearing wheel or sprocket mechanism going loose. After talking to the local rental it became clear that this particular body was not serviced for many years. Spoke to ARRI and was told that while this issue is not supposed to affect the film transport, if we go on shooting at some point the motor will just stop. We are supposed to get a replacement body asap for the rest of the shoot.

 

Best,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Arseni Khachaturan said:

Thank you all for your input.

Indeed it does seem like a dry bearing wheel or sprocket mechanism going loose. After talking to the local rental it became clear that this particular body was not serviced for many years. Spoke to ARRI and was told that while this issue is not supposed to affect the film transport, if we go on shooting at some point the motor will just stop. We are supposed to get a replacement body asap for the rest of the shoot.

 

Best,

Did they rent you this camera? If so you've just found out something about your rental house.  Film equipment just isn't earning its keep anymore.

16mm Steebecks are the same. I have one of a handful of serviceable ones for hire in a town that once had hundreds. I even took it 600 miles to Scotland because there wasn't one any nearer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Arseni Khachaturan said:

Thank you all for your input.

Indeed it does seem like a dry bearing wheel or sprocket mechanism going loose. After talking to the local rental it became clear that this particular body was not serviced for many years. Spoke to ARRI and was told that while this issue is not supposed to affect the film transport, if we go on shooting at some point the motor will just stop. We are supposed to get a replacement body asap for the rest of the shoot.

Exactly! Do not use!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  


  • Just Cinema Gear



    Metropolis Post



    The Original Slider



    Broadcast Solutions Inc



    G-Force Grips



    Paralinx LLC



    Serious Gear



    Tai Audio



    Glidecam



    New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment



    Abel Cine



    Ritter Battery



    Visual Products



    Gamma Ray Digital Inc



    Wooden Camera



    CineLab



    Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS



    Rig Wheels Passport



    FJS International


    Cinematography Books and Gear
×
×
  • Create New...