Music video clip and legalities of content

Patrick Cooper

I'll be shooting and editing a music video clip in the very near future for a band. Some of the footage has been shot already by myself and will be included in the production. Though I have a query concerning legalities over some of the subject matter. There will be footage of recognisable buildings, cars (possibly including license plate numbers), brand names, store fronts and pedestrians walking down the street. The clip will be viewable on the band's website. I have no idea if it will ever air on TV one day. Is any of this content going to be problematic for a music video clip from a legal perspective? 

I know from shooting stock photography that a lot of this kind of subject matter cannot be used for commercial images unless you have model releases / property releases etc. Not so much of an issue for editorial images for stock.

However, I'm not sure how much of this applies to music video clips. I have seen music videos where brand names have been blurred out from t-shirts so that would likely be an indication that filmmakers could potentially get into legal trouble if brand names were visible without the company's formal permission.

I don't have any model releases or property releases for this clip.

Edited by Patrick Cooper