Grading SLog in the F23/F35?

Mike Krumlauf

• Premium Member

I used LUTcalc to create some LUTs that transformed SLOG/SGamut footage over to Sony's LC709A Rec709 LUT. And another that converted SLOG/SGamut to SLOG3/SGamut3.cine so that I could drop the more common LUTs for the F5(5), FS7, Venice etc. on to the F35/F3 footage with minimal fuss. 

I really liked what I was getting from the Venice's S709 LUT when layered onto the converted SLOG footage. Gives lovely colours.

On 9/29/2019 at 5:38 PM, Stuart Brereton said:

I didn’t even know the F900 could do Log. Last time I used one was about 100 years ago ?

Honestly it cant... not like the F23 or F35. I had a Panavisied F900 and its "Log" was nothing compared to what the F23 and F35 can do. Also the 10bit 4:2:2 had CCD artifacting that was a pain in the butt to deal with.

The F900's sensor was not built for true log.. its stuck in the REC709 world. If you pushed the hell out of it like you can the 23 and 35 you just got a useless noisy image.

Edited by Mike Krumlauf

On 9/29/2019 at 9:10 AM, Max Field said:

Is it any different from the SLOG in the F900?

Yes, very different. The sensors in the F23 and 35 are far superior to that in the F900 and F900R. The F900 does not natively have SLOG either, it needs to be remade in CVP FIle Editor.