Peleng 8mm

Ryan Navazio

Has anyone used a Peleng 8mm fisheye lens on a bolex rx? How were the results? What type of c-mount adapter would I need? Thanks in Advance.

I haven't shot with the Peleng because it's way too distorted for my tastes, and the price is too high for a novelty effect. Also, it's not an RX lens, so shooting below F4 on a Bolex RX would be problematic. Plus, I would feel dirty attaching anything other than Switars to my Bolex. But that's just me. :D

If you buy one, you can choose the type of mount.

http://www.kievcamera.com/product.php?ID=14

Then you would need a 'whatever you choose' mount to C-mount adapter. I would check with Duart or another company that specializes in selling/building adapters for cine cameras before choosing a particular mount. The adapters can be quite pricey.

Edited by MikeL

• Premium Member
I haven't shot with the Peleng because it's way too distorted for my tastes, and the price is too high for a novelty effect. Also, it's not an RX lens, so shooting below F4 on a Bolex RX would be problematic. Plus, I would feel dirty attaching anything other than Switars to my Bolex. But that's just me. :D

Hi,

On 16mm the pelling is not very distorted as your just using the centre of the lens. Wide open its f3.5 but sharpens a gerat deel by f5.6.

Stephen

I've used the Peleng with an M42 to c-mount adapter and it works quite well. A bit of bend, but as it was stated before, not as bad on 16 as 35. This may be the best deal for an 8mm lens that covers super 16.

Keep that lens extra clean while shooting.

Jeff

NYC DP

• 8 months later...
I've used the Peleng with an M42 to c-mount adapter and it works quite well. A bit of bend, but as it was stated before, not as bad on 16 as 35. This may be the best deal for an 8mm lens that covers super 16.

Keep that lens extra clean while shooting.

Jeff

NYC DP

I know this is an old thread, but where did you find your M42 to c-mount adapter?

James

I would start with eBay. These are/were quite common and should be much cheaper than new.

My Peleng came with 2 mount adaptors, 1 M42 and 1 that goes on my Nikon mount have bought most of mine from Ebay about £20

Don

• 4 weeks later...
I thought the Pelang on a 16mm wasnt that fisheye at all? just decently wide?

That is correct. Still, it's verrry wide angle and you get the distortion that comes with that. What you don't hear from anybody for some reason is that it's incredibly prone to flare and not normal flare--- invisible flare that isn't apparent when you're shooting. Basically if light is comig from the tops or side, it will hit the outer edge of the curved lens that protrudes out; when projected/telecined, the flare that it will cause will appear to be a kind of edge fog but it isn't. You need to jerry rig a matte box or use a french flag to keep things under control. The same applies to the Zenitar 16mm lens as well.

Still, these caveats aside, it's a solid lens at a good price (even with the agonizingly slow f-stop).

Edited by Sir Al

• 7 years later...