BMPCC 4k/6K test results advice

Anne Bauchens

Good day all,

I had the impression that the only difference between the BMPCC 4k & 6k sensors is resolution and size, I'm planning to buy the 4k model but I'm rethinking it after reading the this cinema 5d article, I'm interested in the under exposure test, (disregarding the noise) the 4k model suffers from a some tent & brightness shift when brought back to neutral in Davinci resolve Raw tab. Dose this mean that the bmpcc 6k data is more stable can be abused more in post? any advice would be appreciated.

I can't comment on the 6K. But I've done several projects on the 4K. The footage holds on a grades really nicely, its a lot more robust then most cameras in the price range.

In extreme circumstances you could probably end up pushing it into strange colours and noise - but in general shooting its fine. Colours are nice and it has decent low light performance. The test you link too is interesting, but how often do you shoot 3 stops under and attempt to bring back up to normal. Its not really a thing you'd do.

Its an excellent camera for the money and only issue I've found annoying is the poor battery life and needed an external batt. 

The 6K looks great but if you only have the budget for the 4K I'm sure you'd still be happy. 

• Premium Member

If you expose properly, you won't have any issues. 

The 6k has one small glitch, which is the fact that using the full imager requires shooting 6k raw. This isn't an issue with the 4k, which can shoot pro res no problem in 4k. 

The moment someone comes out with a PL mount replacement on the 6k, I will buy one. Until then, EF is pretty useless for me, so I'm personally holding off. If you have EF glass, I'd go for it tho. 

16 hours ago, Phil Connolly said:

In extreme circumstances you could probably end up pushing it into strange colours and noise - but in general shooting its fine. Colours are nice and it has decent low light performance. The test you link too is interesting, but how often do you shoot 3 stops under and attempt to bring back up to normal. Its not really a thing you'd do.

I'm sure the 4k is great, but bringing a face out of darkness with ease sure is a big plus, or for example working in LAB color space for extreme color shifts, a stable codec will be more handy for that.

11 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

The 6k has one small glitch, which is the fact that using the full imager requires shooting 6k raw. This isn't an issue with the 4k, which can shoot pro res no problem in 4k. 

The moment someone comes out with a PL mount replacement on the 6k, I will buy one. Until then, EF is pretty useless for me, so I'm personally holding off. If you have EF glass, I'd go for it tho. 

For me the area I loose on the sensor is minimal, I think these cameras are designed for people who can't afford PL lenses. But my question is do these cameras belong to the same sensor family? because that test show the superiority of the 6k raw codecs.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

I thought there were multiple companies offering PL mount conversion kits for the 6k?

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Mark Kenfield said:

I thought there were multiple companies offering PL mount conversion kits for the 6k?

I've only seen a kickstarter project that hasn't been released to the public yet. 

There are dozens of PL converters for the original 4k pocket which uses M43'ds mount.