Let's talk fpv antennas for wireless video.

Hi,

I've seen a lot of AC's using their own FPV antennas on different types of wireless video links. It got me interested so i started researching the topic. But i couldn't find any answer in what scenarios it's beneficial with omnidirectional antennas instead of the standard (for example) teradek ones you get with the kit?

Does the range improve? Or is the range the same but with less signal drop / weird effects?

Teradek claims you can use any third party 5.8ghz antennas for some of their products but doesn't wanna give any recommendations. Also of course i don't want to fry any transmitters so is there anything you should think of before testing?

The main reason i'd like to use it is to have "stubby" antennas on the transmitter to make my camera builds as compact as possible. 

Thanks!

Edited by Rasmus Frostell
  • Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

If you're using the mushroom kind, you should probably get circular polarization antennas. And make sure that your RX, and your TX both have the right kind of polarized. left hand twist or right hand twist. LHCP and RHCP are not that compatible.

At least that's what I heard someone talking about while I was 10-1.

• Like 1