Standard 16mm Crop

Sean Dahlberg

Hello,  I own an Aaton XTR-Prod and have shot pieces for a 1.77, 1.85 or 2.35 crop.  I recently came across my first project where the director wants to shoot STD 16, my question relates to how this would be done the smartest way without wasting too much of the negative.  I was under the assumption that I would shoot normally while framing for 4x3 crop...later at the post house I would get a 1.33 scan and a raw full aperature scan.  If I'm correct so far, what would be the correct 2k sequence settings in Premiere Pro for a 1.33 finish.?   2048x1536?   Would the cropped neg cover this whole area?   Thank you for clearing up some of the confusion, I feel like I'm over thinking this a bit.  

• Premium Member

So Super 16 is 1.67:1 aspect ratio. Standard 16 is 1.33:1. 

All ya do is just adjust the video tap so the framing sides go in a bit on the left and right side and you're done. Just keep everything centered. 

During scanning, you'll just want a over-scan (2.5k or greater if possible) so you can just pull the section you want out of it. 

I do this all the time, no big deal. 

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Sean Dahlberg said:

Thank you, Tyler!  So, this would be a situation when scanning 4k wouldn't be overkill?  

I mean generally, I like to over-scan everything, so that when you apply the necessary crop to fit your final output aspect ratio, you aren't cropping too much resolution in the process. For Super 16, that would be roughly 2.5 - 3k. 4k is pretty much over-kill for 16mm, all it really does it make the grain more visible.