Gels vs RGBW color

I did watch this video and the results mirror my on set experience.

But not noted in the video, adding gels to LED lights often don't result in the desired correction exactly either.  For example, adding a CTO to a daylight LED will not match a true tungsten quartz lamp either. So, this gets a bit tricky as well...

• Premium Member

Gelling LEDs is fraught with difficulty. The Lee Zircon range is better; I think they designed with a peak of absorbtion in the LED blue, which can help avoid some of the stranger results that more conventional filters suffer, but we're in a world beyond standardisation here and it is complicated.

I haven't watched the video but metamerism is complicated.

• Premium Member

Great video. Frieder from Kino Flo does an EXCELLENT presentation on all this that he's toured around the world a bit, that clarified a lot of these spectral issues for me.

The part I don't quite understand is why the LEDs that have enough spectrum for a good result with gels, can't simply limit that spectrum to a level that would match their gelled performance (as gels are only removing parts of the spectrum, not adding to them).

I assume that it's because the LED emitters are a bit too blunt of an instrument for that, and when you reduce (for example) green, you're reducing all of your green, rather than just the specific portions that a particular gel could block.

I do wonder though, whether reducing your green proportionally (so that some of your green emitters are lowered, but some remain pumping out their full spectral compliment) might help with that?

Edited by Mark Kenfield