Double Bobbinet..DIY?

Joseph Tese

• Premium Member

Hello,

Has anyone found material that would be comparable to double bobbinet rags? My fabric store search wasn’t successful. Then there’s the issue of side stitching so it doesn’t tear? For smaller or custom applications not involving a frame maybe this would be useful to know.

Not sure what your application is for this, but you could possibly try non-fabric material like what makes screen doors/windows? I have no idea if it will alter the color or what the general light reduction would be though. I'm not sure why you wouldn't just go with bobbinet? Because of the expense?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-36-in-x-84-in-Brite-Aluminum-Screen-3000043/100390092?g_store=620&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D30-G-D30-30_23_GLASS_SCREEN-Generic-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-GLASS_SCREEN&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D30-G-D30-30_23_GLASS_SCREEN-Generic-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-GLASS_SCREEN-71700000044150121-58700004608004196-92700038790561217&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrfvsBRD7ARIsAKuDvMOHAUHy5z0xtJRHWsT2pbaj3qmEEo5fs9heG9O7TRzL69NFX88Z1IkaApBbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I have seen at least three different types of fabric referred to as "bobbinet." Some of it was just tulle, the stuff they make ballet costumes out of, and you can buy it under that name by the yard; that's what the U.S. film industry seems to mean by the word. I believe the proper textiles terminology requires that bobbinet has hexagonal holes, though the size of those holes varies widely.

Other stuff was cotton with larger holes, and then there's the elastic stuff that's used in fibreglass fabrication. That last type, I'm pretty sure, was misapplied as a lighting modified because it is sold as "bobbinet," but in the end you can use whatever you like - so long as it's fireproof.

Yes, it is difficult to stitch, but not impossible. Trap it between two layers of cotton tape (not polypropylene webbing, which is much harder to handle) and use a fine pitch.

P

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Be careful about the fire and heat situation, though. I'm not sure if the stuff used in light control textiles is any different to the commercial grades. I would assume not, on general principle, but it's as well to be sure before risking a safety issue.

• Premium Member

Agreed, It seems like some are and some not, depending on material. Polyester is questionable, but if it's Nylon it is most probably flame-retardant. As you said though, always verify prior to purchasing instead of assuming.