Marvel films

Robin R Probyn

Sacrilegious Greg ! ^^ At least maybe watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Civil War, that'll give you a good idea before starting Falcon & The Winter Soldier. Really, I find that Scorsese is totally right. Granted, if you learn as much as you can about him, it's clear his definition of what is cinema is very different from most people's. I like the MCU but most of them are entertaining, forgotten about a couple of hours later films, competently made but with no soul, heart or any personality. 

It's said Feige is essentially the showrunner of a giant TV series and there's truth to that, apparently many of the set pieces are also prevized before the director even steps in. I hope the Disney + shows will feel different, at least visually, it's said the budgets on those 6, 7, 8 episode seasons are super high, so there's that. The problem with the films is that I don't feel the director behind it, it just all feels like assembly line stuff although I find that the first two IM by Favreau, along with anything the Russos directed and Coogler on BP,  are really the outliers. They're all so visually bland and flat, making the switch to digital after Thor was a mistake. Anyway, I hope the Disney + shows are much more interesting visually and daring. 

Edited by Manu Delpech

They're kinda baby movies. No deep real-world situations demonstrated in any of them to my memory, I stopped watching after the first Avengers. That being said, baby movies can still have master-level production value.

How is Scorsese disliking Marvel movies a shock to anyone??

• Premium Member

Unfortunately if you're a union guy working in Hollywood, the only way to make decent money is by working on the superhero movies or TV. 

Imagine if that gravy train ended? hehe ?

Ohh and yea, the Marvel movies specially are dumbing down everyone who watches them. I think End Game has a 9.0 on IMDB? Are you friggen kidding me? It's a bunch of noise on screen and in the speakers for nearly 3 hours. Might as well drag an all- white film print on the ground and project it instead, it would have the same reaction probably lol 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

They are popular due the economic situation .. the same was seen during the Great Depression of the 30,s..  why was Shirley Temple the biggest,highest paid star in Hollywood age 10.. well ok those dimples were cute.. but think of the other talent out there.. people want to escape their lives .. just for a few hours.. they actively dont want to see real life.. not saying that wrong .. but its also stopping them thinking about the problems of today.. and what to do about it..

It also goes to show that Marty is on this forum and he agrees with everything I say..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Unfortunately if you're a union guy working in Hollywood, the only way to make decent money is by working on the superhero movies or TV. 

Imagine if that gravy train ended? hehe ?

What I’ve always told people is that the movies I like to watch are not the movies I can afford to work on. I’ll take the Marvel jobs anytime. They are profitable. That doesn’t mean I will ever see them.  I haven’t seen several of the pictures I’ve worked on simply due to they are not my interest. I’ve taken a lot of grief over the years because I’ve never seen FIGHT CLUB and I worked on it extensively. Not my thing. This Friday, I have ZOMBIELAND 2 coming out in theaters. I’ll most likely never watch it. Waste of time in my opinion but then again, it was a living and it paid well.

We as crew, are very fortunate to work on a handful of shows that we can be very proud of. I’ve had several in my career that helps balance the other shows. But I’m always grateful and  appreciative whenever I get hired. 

G

Edited by Gregory Irwin

I quite liked some of the earlier Marvel movies, but they are so formulaic now as the same tropes are repeated again again with a similar character in a slightly different costume. 

What does surprise me is the level of love they get, I found Avengers Endgame to be disappointing, yet its rated at 8/10 on IMDB and fans were banging on about it being an 'emotional' watch. I was shocked at how bad the storytelling was. On a craft level its spectacular and very well made. But you wonder if rather then churning out so many a little bit more thought could go into the script.

Hopefully we have reached "peak superhero" and the world is ready to move on.

Fight club is great, some iconic stuff in there. For me it was a grower and I liked it more after I read the book.

A lot of what makes it good is the construction in the edit, so I wonder if the experience of shooting would give you a different impression of the film. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 6:06 PM, Tyler Purcell said:

the Marvel movies specially are dumbing down everyone who watches them. I think End Game has a 9.0 on IMDB? Are you friggen kidding me? It's a bunch of noise on screen and in the speakers for nearly 3 hours.

That's IMDB's recency buffer, it'll fall back down to a 7 in a few years. 

On 10/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, Gregory Irwin said:

I’ve taken a lot of grief over the years because I’ve never seen FIGHT CLUB and I worked on it extensively. Not my thing. This Friday, I have ZOMBIELAND 2 coming out in theaters. I’ll most likely never watch it. Waste of time in my opinion but then again, it was a living and it paid well.

This is a true professional.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Max Field said:

This is a true professional.

Haha! Thank you. My reality is that there are not too many movies out there that are interesting to me. I’d rather watch news, sports and Netflix documentaries. The last picture I saw that I liked (other than Joker, of course) was Downton Abbey due to my wife’s insistence! ?

G

Edited by Gregory Irwin

6 hours ago, Gregory Irwin said:

Haha! Thank you. My reality is that there are not too many movies out there that are interesting to me. I’d rather watch news, sports and Netflix documentaries. The last picture I saw that I liked (other than Joker, of course) was Downton Abbey due to my wife’s insistence! ?

G

I get tired of people assuming that I want to watch every "high-brow" film that comes out because I educated myself in film production.