Movies with scenes shot on extremely long lenses

I'm looking for some examples of scenes shot on extremely long lenses (200+ mm).
I know there was a shot in "Tinker, Tailor..." that was shot on a 2000mm lens, I think "The Alamo" had some 400+ mm shots (I'm trying to find the exact scene).

Can anyone recommend any other scenes in a movie that were shot with extremely long lenses?
Thanks!!

• Premium Member

A lot of exterior scenes in “A Bridge Too Far” used 10:1 anamorphic zooms with doublers plus telephoto lenses. But they are most b-roll cutaways.

There is that silhouette dialogue scene on the beach swing set in “Tequila Sunrise” with long lenses for the coverage but I don’t know the focal length.

There are plenty of movies with giant sun ball shots on telephoto lenses, sometimes with actors or action in the foreground... too many to list. The end shot of “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” for example.

Is this the Tinker scene you're talking about here

The the film Too Late was shot in five 22 minute unedited take segments. The first segment used a 30mm-1200mm Angenieux Super Tele.

A lot of Barry Lyndon uses tele lenses and is well known for it. Haven't seen it in a few years so can't remember how much in scenes they're used. 

2 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

A lot of exterior scenes in “A Bridge Too Far” used 10:1 anamorphic zooms with doublers plus telephoto lenses. But they are most b-roll cutaways.

There is that silhouette dialogue scene on the beach swing set in “Tequila Sunrise” with long lenses for the coverage but I don’t know the focal length.

I'll check these out. Thanks David!

1 hour ago, Dan Hasson said:

Is this the Tinker scene you're talking about here

Yes! That's the one!

1 hour ago, Dan Hasson said:

The the film Too Late was shot in five 22 minute unedited take segments. The first segment used a 30mm-1200mm Angenieux Super Tele.

Will take a look. Thanks!

• Premium Member

Lots of Tony Scott movies - ‘Top Gun’, ‘Revenge’, ‘Days of Thunder’, ‘Man on Fire’, etc.

In ‘Revenge’ one of my favorite long lens shots is where Costner’s character is driving down a long dirt road and meets Madeleine Stowe’s character riding her horse. The compression works really well there, have always wanted to recreate that shot.

On 10/12/2019 at 2:25 PM, Satsuki Murashige said:

Lots of Tony Scott movies - ‘Top Gun’, ‘Revenge’, ‘Days of Thunder’, ‘Man on Fire’, etc.

In ‘Revenge’ one of my favorite long lens shots is where Costner’s character is driving down a long dirt road and meets Madeleine Stowe’s character riding her horse. The compression works really well there, have always wanted to recreate that shot.

I think I've noticed that about Tony Scott's movies. I think Ridley uses long lenses a lot too.

I'll have to take a look at "Revenge". Thanks!!