How can I know for sure my SRII is loaded correctly?

Jake Wolfert

In the past I've had issues with loading mags, particular with lost loop resulting in smeared, unusable footage. I've watched all the videos and I've loaded on several different cameras many times before. I love how the 416 tells you if theres a loop error, but I'll be shooting on the SRII tomorrow which lacks this feature. Even when using the 416, I've had wiggle in the registration after the camera says the loop is good. At this point I'm very afraid every time I load.  How can I be positive I've loaded the mag correctly? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Distant ancient history memory of loading SR mags.. as Stuart says there is a line on the back of the mag.. feed the film out to this line over the top .. then insert to take up side..  I remember I used to have a pair of small scissors .. some days it just seemed the damn film would never want to take up !!  and get a bit mangled .. cut straight through the middle of the perfs.. take a breath and try again ..

• Premium Member

as others said there is a line at the bottom of the mag for correct loop length. If I remember correctly the film needs to be measured by not going over the pressure plate but next to it to get the correct loop length. so it goes from the top channel, passing the pressure plate NEXT TO IT NOT OVER IT and then goes relatively tightly down to the witness mark on the bottom of the mag. maybe this was the problem, was the film going over the pressure plate when measuring? there is also possible to miss the loop length when feeding the measured loop to the takeup side, that's why the perforation needs to be cut on half before starting to load the mag to get it to properly to the sprocket rollers by just gently pushing the film head to the feed or takeup side until the roller catches it correctly. if it still does not work then there might be something wrong with the mag and servicing it might be a good idea? 

the SR mags should be very easy to load because you can do almost all of it in daylight and they are as simple as possible for a quick change mag. I actually purchased a cheap used SR1 mag years ago just to practice loading them even when I don't own any of those cameras. It was cheap and I got some good parts out of it but otherwise it was not much needed because loading was so easy that it was actually not much needed for practicing at all

Edited by aapo lettinen