Leaving over the slate while loading mags

Hans Engstrom

Who usually take the clapperboard when the 2nd AC is unloading/loading mags during takes? I´ve been teached to inform the FAD that I need to leave the set to load/unload and inform he/her where it is and that it is updated. Then it´s up to the FAD to select someone to take the slate or take it himself/herself if he/she feels like it. This is offcourse in a case where there only is a cinematographer, a 1st AC and a 2nd AC.

Who usually take the clapperboard when the 2nd AC is unloading/loading mags during takes?

The 2nd should have extra loaded mags standing by for reloads, and then reload exposed mags during setup changes.

Otherwise, leave the slate with the camera and, in a bind, the 1st AC will find a PA to slate.

The 2nd should have extra loaded mags standing by for reloads, and then reload exposed mags during setup changes.

Otherwise, leave the slate with the camera and, in a bind, the 1st AC will find a PA to slate.

On the production I´m working on the 1st AC wants me to help with the setup changes and reload after the next setup is ready (and this is how we are doing it now). Our camera dept is only 3 ppl and we usually have no PA on the set that I or the 1st AC can communicate with if we don´t run around looking for them for 5min or so (or take it thru the FAD which is faster). We only have 3 mags and shoots with 7246, 7274 and 7279 with frequently changes. Most often I make it back to the set during rehearsals but sometimes I don´t. The movie is a low budget project ($400000 shooting budget) and we are only about 15 crewmembers on the set and I also setup the videofeed to the director and moves all that equipment around between setups. This is the first feature that I´m working on as a 2nd AC, and thats why I was asking the question because I wanted to know the standard procedure. So this brings up more questions. Doesn´t the 2nd AC allways help the 1st AC with setup changes? If there is a need for reloading mags and at the same time a setup change, do the 1st AC then move all the camera equipment by himself while the 2nd unloads/loads or is it more common to do it the way we are doing it now? If there are many typos or if the words make no sense to you I appollogize, it´s because I´m tired as we are on our 9th shooting day with only one day off so far and we are working between 12 -16 hours a day.

• Premium Member

Sounds like you need a loader and/or a camera P.A. For now just do what the 1st thinks is the most important thing for you to do at the time, whether that's loading or helping him/her. You can't be in two places at once, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.