Jib Arm Recommendations

Connor Thorpe

Hi all,

I'm a key grip based in Vancouver, BC looking to expand my kit. At the moment I'm thinking about adding a jib arm and would love some suggestions. It would need to be able to comfortably fly a remote head and Alexa SXT/Mini/Sony Venice camera packages.

So far, I've looked into the Intel-a-Jib, the GFM jibs, and the Jimmy Jib. 

Cheers!

Connor

• Premium Member

I always thought Jimmy Jibs had a pretty spectacular price-to-performance ratio. Put it on a track and you have 75-80% of the capability of a Technocrane for about a quarter the price, given a suitably capable operator. 

That said, I'm just enthusing about a bit of gear I happen to like. I hesitate to make any real recommendation as it'll depend vastly on what sort of market you're in. In the UK, my impression is that Jimmy Jib is very much a broadcast TV thing; they're used extensively on things like property renovation shows. A proportion of their work (and this goes for a lot of cranes) has been supplanted by drones. The regulatory situation in the UK, and I suspect much of the world, conspires to make drones a lot less useful, and therefore a lot less of a threat to cranes, than perhaps they could have been.

I don't know enough about the GFM stuff to comment very sensibly but it seems to me that the Jimmy Jib is typically used in rather larger configurations.

I've used the Intel-a-jib with a Sony F55 and primes. We were doing simple moves, using a fluid head. It seemed to cope pretty well with the weight, but i have no idea if the added weight of a remote head would be a problem for it.

As Phil says, Jimmy-Jibs are very useful, but a good operator is essential. Without one, I find a lot of Jimmy-Jib work ends up being done on a super wide lens, and just looks like nasty daytime television tv.