Arri Amira Grain

So i'm shooting a short on the Arri Amira, upon doing some camera tests I found that the shadows are very noisy, even at 400 iso the grain is still present in the shadows. Originally I thought this was a RAW issue but after shooting some tests on both ARRI RAW and Pro res 4444 XQ the Grain is still present. Anyone have any insight on this topic? Not sure what can be done considering you can't calibrate the blacks like a RED.

Pretty sure you must be looking at it in Log C, the camera is not noisy at all. It's the same sensor as all the other ARRI cameras and ARRI cameras are not noisy at all compared to any other camera.

Did you open it in the free ARRI Color Tool you can download from their website? Did you have the ARRI to 709 LUT on it in program like Resolve?

• Premium Member

First of all, is there something going wrong or are you just overly sensitive to what would be considered a normal amount of noise?  The only way to know the answer to the first is to shoot some tests comparing it to another Alexa or Amira.

And are you judging noise by looking at flat log images? Because a lot of shadow noise is buried often by a standard display gamma.

Noise being "present" isn't the same thing as noise being excessive so it's hard to tell if your expectations are too high or if there really is a problem.  Again, you'd have to have a frame of reference with a test from another camera using the same sensor and settings.  In theory, at 400 ISO you should have a fairly clean signal but I can't say if it would be "noiseless."

I haven't shot with the Amira, but I've shot a lot with the Alexa.

I've never noticed excessive noise or grain when shooting at ISO 800, unless the clip has been underexposed.  I suspect somehow that you are underexposing your footage.

I can only ask, how are you determining the proper exposure?  Are you using a light meter?  Exposing by eye in the viewfinder?  Something else?

• Premium Member

I've always found Alexa/Amira footage a bit noisy at it's native 800 ISO. Not in any objectionable way, but it's very clearly there in the shadows.

At 400 ISO though (which is where I'll generally shoot the camera unless I'm short on light) I'd consider it SQUEAKY clean. 

Can you post some examples?

I general, I'd always be wary of underexposing digital images. By which I don't mean placing things in the shadows, but rather putting anything in a situation where you're going to have to lift the shadows in post. A one-stop push is rarely a problem, but by two your always into nasty territory.