RED Scarlet B4 2/3rds mount??

Max Field

• Premium Member

I don't think RED ever made a B4 mount, but basic 3rd party versions might exist. The thing is, you really need optical correction and ideally also expansion for B4 lenses, since they were designed for 2/3" 3 chip sensors with a prism. There are cheap adapters around without optics for various shallow FFD camera mounts, but the results won't be great, especially wide open. You could just use a proper B4 to PL adapter that has corrective optics, but they tend to cost thousands.

• Like 1

Red have a habit of announcing vapourware products that don't ship. The 2/3" scarlet was one of the products that announced to great fanfare, but they never actually released it. I can't remember if they took deposits, but a lot of people were waiting on it for a number of years. When Scarlet actually arrived, it was a different camera at a higher price point compared to the original press releases. They made a big thing of making a 3K camera for less then $3K only they didn't. 

Around the same time they announced various large format sensor cameras they never made. The also announced a ground breaking 4K laser projector they never released. Also there was this RED RAY media server thing that was going to revolutionise distribution and data compression, I think that existed but over promised in the specs

More recently they didn't made the promised modular camera upgrade for the Hydrogen One phone and they have cancelled the promised follow up to the Hydrogen one phone. Of course many would argue the RED phone also over promised in terms of its capabilities. 

They have often announced products too early, either resulting in late delivery or products getting cancelled when they realise its not doable.  When Red announce a product there is about a 50/50 chance of it actually coming to market in the announced format/price. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

They only made the S35 MX version of those four listed in the image. The specs were slightly different as I remember, maybe it did not do 5K at full framerate but only something like 15fps? I shot a short film with it years ago but can't remember anymore. Everyone was shooting 4K with it so I think the 5K was not usable framerate.

The pricepoint was something a bit closer to 20K for a basic kit with memory cards and batteries, displays etc. The brain itself was maybe something like 12K or so?

• Premium Member

RED has had tons of other never-released announcements as well like the large format stills/video camera with a postcard sized sensor. They test the hype and if the demand seems high enough they may actually make the product. Some other manufacturers do this as well: they create mockups of the cameras and list the possible specs which look very nice on paper. Then the approximate price point which will usually change A LOT if the product is actually released. With camera manufacturers it is also pretty normal to expect the product (if actually released at all) to arrive one or two years late...

• 3 months later...