Sundial: Is this iPhone app useful for cinematographers?

Mike Muegel

I hope an app I developed may be useful to cinematographers. Sundial shows essential solar and lunar data + allows you to create alerts for 20 sun/moon events including sunrise, solar noon, sunset, dusk, moonrise, and the full moon. It is for iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch.

I'm a film lover and have thought the alert feature might be useful on a film set, as tool to help to remind you of changing light conditions other than "looking around." The alerts are calculated and generated on the device without a server, and work without an Internet connection (such as on a remote set).

Sundial is free, with a one-time in-app purchase (currently USD$2.99) to unlock some features/restrictions, including the ability to jump to any location/date (assist in shoot planning) and enable more than one alert.

I welcome any feedback! Thank you. -Mike

Looks good. I don't have a iPhone, smart phone or Dick Tracy watch. I just have a dumb Walmart Tracphone. But if someone wants to prepare for a blue or red hour shoot it seems like a useful tool. Or even to know where the sun position may be for a shoot. I would think the landscaper still photogs would love it too.