Building small beam projector

Jay Young

• Premium Member

I’d love to build or have built some small beam projectors. 

anyone have any experience? I’m having trouble finding sources for reflectors. 

I would really like something less than 1000 watts, preferably like in a small pepper or tweeties housing. 

thoughts? 

DEDO lights.

they also have a projector lens attachment.

there are Chinese made projector lenses but you would have to make an adapter ring to fit on tweenies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GJQMYGF/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=cornicellopho-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07GJQMYGF&linkId=e15d703759c89edf52e304bd52830f7e

• Premium Member

I'm not sure if there's a practical difference between a beam projector and a profile (er, ellipsoidal.) The results are arguably fairly similar, but a beam projector like a Molebeam where the entire optical system consists of a single parabolic reflector (and perhaps a few baffles) is, I'd think, likely to be quite a bit more efficient. Less flexible, though.

From what I've seen, a Molebeam or similar is designed to project as near to a parallel beam of light as possible. Most Source Fours, Dedos, etc, won't really do that, although I suspect that in many situations that might not matter too much. However, I have often seen them used to do things like sunbeams through windows, often in haze so it's visible. In this situation it is much more correct to have a near-parallel beam, given the effectively infinite distance of the sun. The limiting factor is of course the diameter of the reflector; for really correct results the reflector should be larger than the window (for instance) you're projecting the light through. For that reason I'm not sure if a small beam projector really makes that much sense unless you have a specific application in mind - you might just as well go and buy some Source Fours.

I bought old (late 90s) Coemar Centro and converted them to 150W ceramic.

P