Wireless DMX - Your favorite?

Joseph Tese

• Premium Member

I'd like to invest in some Wireless DMX.

For a quick and easy set-up, I see a lot of people get a RatPack AKSPlus and its receivers. To my understanding, this allows you to bypass a physical console, and go directly to the software within an APP or Macbook, via WiFi?

This seems like a quick and decent solution for quick setups with a few lights. Can anyone confirm its compatibility with a console and other software?

Apart from the AKSPlus, what are your go-tos? Looking into RC4 Wireless and CityTheatrical boxes, but I feel like the RatPac designs have a leg up if they are battery powered.

Console wise, I'm looking at the ChamSys QuickQ10.. But might invest in this or similar later. The reason for thinking about it now, is I just want to make sure that introducing a console later on won't affect any of the Wireless DMX systems I choose now. I don't see why it would, but want to make sure.

on ipad/iphone Lumenair works pretty well with a small wifi dongle. https://hmbtec.de/produkt/cc512-v4-%e3%80%88-isky-%e3%80%89wifi-%e2%86%92-dmx-dongle

But i invested in a Spotlight GaffersControl a year ago and use it on almost every job. Its an amazing tool which saves a lot of time. Easy to learn for all my gaffers around the globe! https://www.gafferscontrol.com/

Works with lumenradio (receivers already included in many led fixtures…)

DSCF2583.jpeg

• Premium Member

Very cool - will check it out..The WIFI dongle might not be available in the US.

The cintennas from ratpak are expensive. is it safe to say that all CRMX components (Transmitters and receivers) are cross-compatible? In other words, If I invest in the AKS transmitter, is CRMX set up so the AKS knows to automatically connect to other CRMX receivers?

On 11/13/2019 at 2:07 PM, Joseph Tese said:

Apart from the AKSPlus, what are your go-tos? ...

Console wise, I'm looking at the ChamSys QuickQ10.. But might invest in this or similar later. The reason for thinking about it now, is I just want to make sure that introducing a console later on won't affect any of the Wireless DMX systems I choose now. I don't see why it would, but want to make sure.

I’m a total Newbie  and want to put together a portable wireless dmx system in a pelican case as well.  I was thinking of getting Nomad for my 2013 Macbook Pro with Retina display. So that I can easily jump onto  on a desk size EOS console I was thinking of also getting a  Dell 16x9 Touchscreen to mount under the lid of the case  and the CMd Eos keyboard.  To output dmx to fixtures  I was also planning on getting the ETC Gadget that provides two universes. Is the Ratpac AKS Plus a good transmitter for this set-up or would you suggest something else? 

Do you think this covers all the bases for a system or am I missing something ? What more do I need in my Pelican case for a complete mobile package. Attached are some pictures I found online of such a system and I am trying to figure out what all the ports on the side of the pelican case are for?

Guy Holt, Gaffer, ScreenLight & Grip, Lighting Rentals & Sales in Boston

B75BAB3E-84E0-4CC9-BECB-C1D8EEA3EFBD.jpeg.4acf54024e2e92827b80bd9cf0dc3b65.jpeg

3A3A0201-D143-4254-8124-290973AAE347.jpeg.100908d8828d3f99617cec92e512310c.jpeg

Edited by Guy Holt

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

After a little bit of research, concerning software, I'm really liking Blackout. It's still fairly new, and only in its App stage. Might only apply to simpler - medium set-ups, though.

Concerning what transmitter/receiver system to use, it seems LumenRadio devices are the Go-To. I've only heard great things about the RatPak AKS and Cintennas. The advantage of using LumenRadio is that they are all cross-compatible with no issue, because they all bought into the LumenRadio chip. So far it seems to be the leading standard for WirelessDMX compatibility, unless someone else would correct me.

Still wrapping my head around all the different products and routes, and can report back if I have a personal revelation.

For what's it's worth, here's sort of a high-level discussion on some of the popular 

• 1 year later...

Update on the compatibility front.  LumenRadio / CRMX acquired Wireless Solution / W-DMX earlier this year and has announced that the 2 brands will become 100% cross compatible going forward.   Legacy CRMX receivers can already receive from W-DMX transmitters.   The W-DMX brand is the market leader in the live event segment.

https://lumenradio.com/the-future-of-crmx-and-w-dmx/