JOKER hits the Billion Dollar Club

• Premium Member

Who ever would have predicted that JOKER could possibly make more than $1Billion, USD worldwide box office? ABSOLUTELY NO ONE! But that is exactly what is happening this weekend. When we were shooting the picture, we didn’t know if it was even marketable. For me, this marks my third Billion Dollar Club movie with Fast & Furious 7 & 8 being the predecessors. I’m very happy about JOKER’s success. My hope is that this could inspire the studios to take more risks on pictures that make an impact. JOKER isn’t a comic book movie. It’s a social commentary on mental health issues. Bravo Warner Bros. for having the courage to produce a picture that matters. 

G

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

• Premium Member

Holy Moly!!!!! I just woke up this morning to a text from Larry (Sher) that he won the Golden Frog, Best Cinematography Award for JOKER at Camerimage Film Festival!!! The picture also won the Audience Award as well! Never has a film won both. So proud. 

G

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gregory Irwin said:

Holy Moly!!!!! I just woke up this morning to a text from Larry (Sher) that he won the Golden Frog, Best Cinematography Award for JOKER at Camerimage Film Festival!!! The picture also won the Audience Award as well! Never has a film won both. So proud. 

G

Oscars must be getting large in the eye piece !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just saw this on Christmas. Aperture felt wide open the entire time, was it one of the more difficult pictures to pull focus for? And did you go to the Checkers across the street from the Bronx stairs after wrapping? I visited the stairs and was way too happy to see a Checkers was right next to it.

Also wanted to comment on the scissor stabbing scene. It's very rare, if not the first time, you get to see that level of horror movie gore with a completely casual tone. Maybe the most memorable scene of the film.

Most visually impressive film I've seen this year... but my opinion doesn't mean much as I've only seen like 3 movies this year...

Edited by Max Field

• Premium Member

I knew it was going to do well when I left the theater, it had all the right elements, every department was on their A game, plus a great script and fantastic actors. It's nice when a good movie, makes money, it makes me feel like there is hope in a world where most blockbusters are complete shit. 

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Max Field said:

Just saw this on Christmas. Aperture felt wide open the entire time, was it one of the more difficult pictures to pull focus for? And did you go to the Checkers across the street from the Bronx stairs after wrapping? I visited the stairs and was way too happy to see a Checkers was right next to it.

Also wanted to comment on the scissor stabbing scene. It's very rare, if not the first time, you get to see that level of horror movie gore with a completely casual tone. Maybe the most memorable scene of the film.

Most visually impressive film I've seen this year... but my opinion doesn't mean much as I've only seen like 3 movies this year...

Never had the chance to go Checkers. I had a driver always waiting for me at wrap and I was whisked away to TriBeCa where I was staying. 

G

Edited by Gregory Irwin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I want to wish my good friend and colleague, Larry Sher, for his ASC nomination for JOKER. I’m very proud of him and the company he shares with the other nominees including Roger, Rodrigo, Phedon and Bob. Good luck my friend!!!

G

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

And it continues! Congratulations to my dear friend and work partner for the past 12 years, Geoff Haley, SOC for receiving the Society of Camera Opererators  Best Achievement in Camera Operating (feature film) for his work on JOKER. So well deserved for the unique qualities he brings to the set. The gala was held last night in Hollywood. Now it’s onto the ASC Awards and then on to to Oscars! I’m so humbled.

G