Fair Price for the F23?

Luka Stojcic

Hey all,

There's an F23 package going on eBay for $5700—

https://ebay.to/2XxixHz

Really intrigued by the offering though it seems quite steep for such an old camera, especially because it doesn't include the SRW-1. It has relatively low hours and comes with the HDVF-C35 which is great, but still. There's even an F35 package on there that comes with everything (viewfinder, if box) and also the SRW-1 and that's going for $4500. Curious what you guys think is a fair price for the F23 package. Worth waiting around for another that's perhaps more reasonably priced?

But the fact that this camera is even going for that price—after retailing for 200k+ a decade ago and being used to shoot the highest grossing movie of all time (Avatar)—just absolutely rules

• Premium Member

A 2/3" cinema camera is a very niche product these days. Personally I think $5k is a reasonable amount for any tool that capable. You're operating at such tiny percentages of the original purchase value, that it's really just a question of what an interested party would pay. 

For anyone with a tidy set of some of the amazing 2/3" glass that came out around the same time (Digiprimes, Fuji Zooms etc.) I think it'd be well worth it.

• Premium Member

Maybe if you have a customer who requires hd image and the use of 2/3 lenses is most practical then it might make sense. 

Aa a comparison you can get a Red One MX with couple of 640gb drives and the original display for about 1500 bucks or so. For general use that would make much more sense I think and would be much cheaper and more multipurpose glass could be used. Being 10 years old technology I don't know how many working hours it would still have but the F23 is not new tec either...

Thanks for chiming in guys. Of course, you're right Mark, it's a terrific camera and it's genuinely shocking how cheap it can be got for these days.

Aapo: I suppose it would make more sense to get one of those "4k" cameras everybody's always talking about since I would like to start doing freelance work, maybe weddings or music videos. Somehow I doubt the rap artists and newlyweds are clamoring for the uncompromising HD deep focus look. 

The One MX does look intriguing. The deals I've found don't look to be quite as enticing as the one you've described—most packages I've seen are around 4-5k with the evf and display and drives etc. Might wait around for something less expensive; would certainly attract more clients if I have a Red (a decade old one maybe, but they don't have to know that) than a Blackmagic or something.

How's the rolling shutter on the One MX? I know RS isn't the end of the world but if you pan fast enough those skewed lines do start to look vaguely apocalyptic

Edited by Luka Stojcic

• 1 month later...

Hey if it helps you at all. I am trying to sell my F23 kit. Currently in talks with a fellow member on here about a possible sale, but I'm open to offers as we have not closed our deal yet. I have the SRW1 deck as well as an HD Fujinon lens and HDVF200 viewfinder. Feel free to private message me to talk more about what I have available and pricing. :)