HDX900 SDI external recorder recommendations

dan freshman

I work for a company that wants to keep shooting on HDX900s that they own. However, they pretty have run out of DVCPRO HD tapes stock and can't find it worldwide. Can anyoone recommend good external SDI recorders? I am looking for an emphasis on memory space and being light weight,  over monitoring or tools. Thank you for any suggestions. 

-Dan 

Second the Blackmagic video assist 5"- its probably the simplist option and its useful to have a confidence screen.

I used to use a BM Hyperdeck shuttle - the one without the screen. You just had to trust it was recording - also I accidently recorded timecode in the hyperdeck footage a couple of times by not having a screen and forgetting to turn the display info off the camera SDI out. 

• Premium Member

Atomos also have a little recorder in the Ninja range that has no display and is intended for this sort of situation. Or, yes, hyperdeck shuttle, or even Nanoflash, which will give you 50Mbps MPEG-2, which is super easy to handle for more or less everything if not particularly wonderful quality-wise.

56 minutes ago, Phil Rhodes said:

Atomos also have a little recorder in the Ninja range that has no display and is intended for this sort of situation. Or, yes, hyperdeck shuttle, or even Nanoflash, which will give you 50Mbps MPEG-2, which is super easy to handle for more or less everything if not particularly wonderful quality-wise.

Thanks for this info. When you say not wonderful quality wise, if this the only data being recorded does the quality degrade from what would otherwise be on dvcpro HD tapes? 

• Premium Member

That you'd have to test. They're both a similar bitrate but the relative cleverness of the codecs will differ.

You'd have to pick up Nanoflash used, I suspect (which is fine, they don't go bad) and shoot some example stuff. Make sure yo ucover a lot of bases - interiors, exteriors, overexposure, underexposure, motion, etc.

I had an HDX900 back in the day.. same thing.. people starting wanting files instead of tapes .. in the day alot of people ,myself included got Nanoflash ,s from Convergent design.. small enough box that sat on top of the camera .. actually I sold mine with the HDX900 .. you could look for one second hand.. otherwise as others have said the Video Assist from BM is very good.. I only just discovered them for a shoot that needed to hand off SD cards.. the 7 inch we used.. double slot but a bit heavy.. the 5 inch would probably be better if its going to be there all day long..and you get a monitor too..