Drive belts for XTR mags

Gregg MacPherson

• 2 weeks later...

Many on the forum may know if they are the same. But the best first step is to ask that supplier. That at least alerts them to what is needed.

Making small runs of fine toothed belts has been going for a while, so even if there were no original parts available, there are people practiced at making them.

Most important thing is to just share whatever info and contacts you have.

• 3 weeks later...

pierrem@aaton.com

Pierre at Aaton still manages the parts supply. Though its through Aaton directly, it is more of a back channel as they have a good amount of new OEM parts.  I have talked to him once or twice in regards parts for a Minima and he has been responsive with quoting and invoices for new old stock. 

Edited by Jeremy Saltry

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Jeremy Saltry said:

pierrem@aaton.com

Pierre at Aaton still manages the parts supply. Though its through Aaton directly, it is more of a back channel as they have a good amount of new OEM parts.  I have talked to him once or twice in regards parts for a Minima and he has been responsive with quoting and invoices for new old stock. 

very kind of you to comment....I have emailed.....lets see what they say....also asked Herman about the version he sells on the original post link

• Premium Member

OK this is the information I have........

30 euros each if I buy 5 belt - individually 35 euros each belt from cameramarket.eu

I'm buying some....Ive been paranoid abut the belt every since I own the camera...I quite like the idea of a modern solution using stronger materials?

• Premium Member

Further to this......speaking to Herman, he told me about the belts.....he basically took it upon himself to get them produced.....chapeau to Herman and thanks to him we can keep our Aaton magazines healthy. I quote Herman's email:

.....I had the same problem here and no one wanted to produce the belts. It was really hard to convince a producer to make them. I got the original drawing from Aaton and had them made accordingly. It was quite an investment, since I had to buy a whole roll of Kevlar belt and have that cut at the exact size"

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 5:33 AM, Stephen Perera said:

...I quite like the idea of a modern solution using stronger materials?

Kevlar sounds like a nice material for the belt reinforcement, but it doesn't help the teeth, unless fibres are impregnated into them (the teeth) and adequately connected to fibres in the belt backing. The age of the rubbery materal, and the properties of that material sound like the important criteria.

Having a toothed belt driving the film drive sprocket...must be quieter, may have some advantages, but it was a risky design decision. If I didn't admire him so much I'd call it a bad design decision..

• Premium Member
On 1/9/2020 at 1:19 AM, Stephen Perera said:

Further to this......speaking to Herman, he told me about the belts.....he basically took it upon himself to get them produced.....chapeau to Herman and thanks to him we can keep our Aaton magazines healthy. I quote Herman's email:

.....I had the same problem here and no one wanted to produce the belts. It was really hard to convince a producer to make them. I got the original drawing from Aaton and had them made accordingly. It was quite an investment, since I had to buy a whole roll of Kevlar belt and have that cut at the exact size"

Can you tell me where to buy? I need a dozen for sure. I have 10 mags that need servicing! The website has no links or further information on how to purchase and everyone needs belts! thanks