Which Sekonic Do I Need?

Just wondering which Sekonic light meter do I need to get, that works for both motion picture film and still photography film? I'd like it to have the spot meter capability as well if possible. Available to input shutter angles and EI/ ISO speeds. Or is there a meter that works for both types of photography? Someone suggested the 758, but I don't see motion picture options on that meter. Any suggestions?

• Premium Member

Hi Scott, 

All of the Sekonic Spot/Incident combo meters going back to the L-508 can do fps, shutter speed, and ISO settings. You don’t need the more expensive Cine versions unless you want to input Shutter Angle settings or take Footcandle and Footlambert readings. Those models are: L-508, L-608, L-558, and L-758.

On these non-Cine meters, if you keep spinning the shutter speed dial, you will eventually see fps settings. The meter assumes an 180 degree shutter, so if you are using something different, then you will need to compensate with ISO, filter compensation, or just use shutter speed to get the correct reading. 

Edited by Satsuki Murashige
Clarity

41 minutes ago, Adrian Sierkowski said:

There's also the 858 meter out now.... but it's annoying and I strongly dislike it.

since my 758 was stolen i´m using the 858 ... and yes, it's annoying, especially when shooting in harsh conditions. The touch screen is really bothering... I hope sekonic finds a way back to a more traditional button setup on their next update… also the c700/c800 is bothering… huge delay on the touchscreen and many software crashes.

So sekonic if you google yourself and read this ... please please please as in my mails already mentioned ... the 758 was almost the perfect light meter. Bring it back to market.

I'm not familiar with modern Sekonic meters, but you can certainly use a still camera meter for cine work.  All one needs to do is select the actual shutter speed that you are using.  For example, 1/50th sec(or 1/48th) = 180 degree shutter.  Just do a tiny bit of math and any meter can work for movies.  And, with many digital cameras, it's easy just to set the shutter speed as in a still camera.  Just select 1/48th second instead of 180 degrees.  Or, any other desired shutter speed.

Although, many still camera meters have a setting or indicator on a calculator dial for 1/50th sec shutter speed, such as my old Minolta incident meter.  On my Pentax digital spot meter, there is a little red line on the calculator wheel for 1/50 sec as well.  For any change you make to the shutter angle, or actual shutter speed, one simply does the compensation in one's head ?  Personally I would get confused or make mistakes if I was constantly changing these settings in the meter itself.  For me, it's better to compensate for .ND filters by math than change the ISO setting in the meter.