4k playback: 1070, 1080, 1070ti, 1080ti???

Max Field

Of the 4 graphics cards mentioned in the title, which of these GTX cards are the best bang for buck for 4k NLE playback?

Some of the features that vary in size seem to exclusively be for 3D shaders or something. I'm finding it difficult to find something that squares all 4 off for video editing.

Any help would be much appreciated!

• Premium Member

It's all program and codec based. Resolve is the only editing program for PC (Final Cut X is heavy GPU on Mac) that uses the GPU properly, all of the other one's barely touch it. So if you're editing with Resolve, yes you will need the fastest card possible. I recently upgraded to a Titan and it's pretty amazing. My old 980 (which is about the speed of a 1070) was getting me between 1 and 3fps on some heavy effects shots. The same shot with the Titan is nearly real time, clocking in at 17fps. Not perfect, but when you have a dozen effects per shot, it really needs a lot of resources. 

So if you're using Vegas, Premiere, Avid or any other normal windows based editing program, it doesn't really matter. It's more down to CPU, memory and storage speed, rather than pure GPU performance. 

Best bang for your buck these days is the 1080ti. Two of those with DaVinci studio will destroy any SINGLE GPU. But for every day use, I'd still get a 1080ti because it's such a good card, it should last a few years no problem. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Best bang for your buck these days is the 1080ti. Two of those with DaVinci studio will destroy any SINGLE GPU. But for every day use, I'd still get a 1080ti because it's such a good card, it should last a few years no problem. 

Thanks.. yeah these bitcoin miner people are upsetting me for hiking these prices. The cards are 2-3 years old now and still demanding retail level prices.