I'm Back, Did You Miss Me?

The forum is suddenly loading in my system again, for months I was just getting error messages for this page, so I gave up and went away.  Sorry I have not been here to add kerosene to the debates with my informed opinions.  Lot's has happened since last I was here.  I even had a lunch meeting in London with the infamous Phil Rhodes.  It was all very civil and we managed not to kill each other.

I just wrapped my sixth feature film three weeks ago, yes number six, I have now tied George Lucas in the feature film count.  This film is the third and final instalment in my Against The Wild series, which as you all know, is a global success and one of the biggest film franchises since James Bond, Star Wars, and Harry Potter.  (no need to do an independent Google search to verify that information).

So now I sit here, day after day, hour after hour, editing...editing...editing.  One day I might hire an editor, naw, why do that?  My producer, director, writer, editor, combo is working so well.  I even served as my own continuity supervisor on the last one.  Long story there.

Here's a frame grab from my time line, this is the shipwrecked blind man as he attempts to cross a river.  I think this was take 47 in -25C. ?

My first project in 4K BTW, and I am enjoying the extra flexibility in the frame resolution.  My DOP and I even perfected shooting on a boat under full power, and shooting boat-to-boat with a drone.  Geez did we get some incredible stuff!

R,

01. Steve River.jpg

Edited by Guest
typo

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

So now I sit here, day after day, hour after hour, editing...editing...editing.  

Have you complained to the director that he shot too many takes? And the damned writer kept interfering, which distracted the continuity superviser? The producer should have stepped in..

Congrats on the new film!

1 hour ago, David Mullen ASC said:

What 4K camera did you use?

Canon c200 shooting 4K 12 bit raw,  with CNE primes, first time I have shot with primes in a long time.  Last two features I just stayed on the zoom the entire time.  Great thing about the c200 is that the DOP had a hand held gimble/steady cam, unit which worked perfectly on the boat as a full size Alexa with lenses would of never worked, and it would of needed to be hand held, as a steady cam would of never fit of course.  Here's shots of the boat we used shot from the drone, the DOP and myself are driving behind the picture boat in another power boat, so we launched and recovered the drone from the water.   I don't know what I would of done with a full size chopper with an aerial camera system? Being able to create this level of production value for such incredibly low sums of money, is really incredible.

R,

02.jpg

7 minutes ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Have you complained to the director that he shot too many takes? And the damned writer kept interfering, which distracted the continuity superviser? The producer should have stepped in..

Congrats on the new film!

I only have budget for one take, I have to shoot 14 pages a day.

R,

• Premium Member

If I may ask, what was the production budget like? Do you think wearing so many hats does actually have an impact on budget to the point where it's worth the added stress? Especially on a 14 page a day feature with a low shooting ratio? 

Side note, I don't know if we've talked about this before, but you should seriously come down to Hollywood and do a one-off course on low budget filmmaking. I think people would really like to hear your stories and learn more on how you get away with it. 

14 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

If I may ask, what was the production budget like? Do you think wearing so many hats does actually have an impact on budget to the point where it's worth the added stress? Especially on a 14 page a day feature with a low shooting ratio? 

Side note, I don't know if we've talked about this before, but you should seriously come down to Hollywood and do a one-off course on low budget filmmaking. I think people would really like to hear your stories and learn more on how you get away with it. 

Clearly you have not adapted to my sense of humour yet, LOL.  This was a joke...."I only have budget for one take, I have to shoot 14 pages a day."  I'm a on 20-25 day schedule with a $1, 700, 000.00 shooting budget.  So, many people do not consider that to be, "low budget" filmmaking. ?  Considering I also have a 40-50 person crew.

I've worn the same hats over six feature films now, there is no added stress, there is LESS stress.  I have 100% control over the budget and the creative, so that means less stress, not more.  Besides I don't want to give up the revenue for what I would pay an editor who is as good as I am.  Nor do I want to make someone else's script either.

R,

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

Clearly you have not adapted to my sense of humour yet, LOL. 

Ah got it! haha ?

I'm a on 20-25 day schedule with a $1, 700, 000.00 shooting budget.  So, many people do not consider that to be, "low budget" filmmaking. ?  Considering I also have a 40-50 person crew.

Ah ok, where did ya shoot this time around? Gotta assume being on location adds quite a bit to the budget does it not? 

I've worn the same hats over six feature films now, there is no added stress, there is LESS stress.  I have 100% control over the budget and the creative, so that means less stress, not more.  Besides I don't want to give up the revenue for what I would pay an editor who is as good as I am.  Nor do I want to make someone else's script either.

Ohh very good points. I also agree with the producer, director, writer aspects. I also edit my own stuff but I do like to have another editor help and I will pay someone to help finish my feature because I like the input someone gives. It’s just nice to have someone else have a go and get the best of both worlds, yours and theirs. 

4 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Ah ok, where did ya shoot this time around? Gotta assume being on location adds quite a bit to the budget does it not? 

Ohh very good points. I also agree with the producer, director, writer aspects. I also edit my own stuff but I do like to have another editor help and I will pay someone to help finish my feature because I like the input someone gives. It’s just nice to have someone else have a go and get the best of both worlds, yours and theirs. 

Shot in the Georgian Bay area of Ontario, based in a town called Parry Sound.  Location shooting is the best! Heck I shot my last two on the South African bush veld.

I can't imagine the horror of another editor touching my work.  I don't even take notes. ?

R,

16 minutes ago, Max Field said:

What have you been catering your sets with lately?

Not sure I understand the question? You want to know what kind of food the crew is typically served?

R,

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Phil Connolly said:

The CNE Primes are great, shame Canon didn't do a PL version, they are really under used in general. 

our local rental house seems to have the cn-e prime in PL (haven't asked if they were custom modified) and the Sumires can be purchased in PL as well

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

Shot in the Georgian Bay area of Ontario, based in a town called Parry Sound.  Location shooting is the best! Heck I shot my last two on the South African bush veld.

WOW you shot in Canada? That's some crazytalk! I thought you only shot in the South African bush? hahaha ?

31 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

I can't imagine the horror of another editor touching my work.  I don't even take notes. ?

Yea if you got a good workflow, then leave it be right? 

So you haven't let someone help on the post before huh. Interesting! 

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Phil Connolly said:

The CNE Primes are great, shame Canon didn't do a PL version, they are really under used in general. 

Yea it was a way for people to have an option for their cameras. I think it's kinda silly to not have an option for PL, but it's their whole marketing scheme I guess. 

I actually shot with these lenses as well, no complaints. 

10 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

WOW you shot in Canada? That's some crazytalk! I thought you only shot in the South African bush? hahaha ?

Yea if you got a good workflow, then leave it be right? 

So you haven't let someone help on the post before huh. Interesting! 

Nope, never had any input on my edits.  I shoot my edit in the field, so it allows me to work at literally double the speed of a director for hire who is not also the editor.

R,

17 minutes ago, aapo lettinen said:

our local rental house seems to have the cn-e prime in PL (haven't asked if they were custom modified) and the Sumires can be purchased in PL as well

I think they might have been modded, as I understood it was the CNE's were EF only (except for the zooms) and the set was a bit gappy for a long while with nothing between 14 and 24. They now have a much needed 20.

The Sumires look really nice but at a different price 

What I liked about the CNE's was how good they are at the price point. They look and behave like more expensive glass. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

Nope, never had any input on my edits.  I shoot my edit in the field, so it allows me to work at literally double the speed of a director for hire who is not also the editor.

Ah got ya, smart. Man you must not get any sleep during production or after for that matter. 

4 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Ah got ya, smart. Man you must not get any sleep during production or after for that matter. 

Ah nah, as soon as work is over, grab the cast and head out onto the water on the boat!!

R,

10 hours ago, Max Field said:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of free food provided to me while working.

There is always catering of course, don't have a choice in the matter.

I like to point out to people in film, I worked for a giant corporation for 5 years.  Total number of times my employer bought me lunch = zero times.  They made you buy your own lunch, with this thing they gave you called a pay cheque.  They also made you pay for your own travel expenses to and from work each day.

R,