T’was brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

All mimsy were the borogroves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

https://poets.org/poem/jabberwocky

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

There is always catering of course, don't have a choice in the matter.

I like to point out to people in film, I worked for a giant corporation for 5 years.  Total number of times my employer bought me lunch = zero times.  They made you buy your own lunch, with this thing they gave you called a pay cheque.  They also made you pay for your own travel expenses to and from work each day.

R,

Welcome back!  It's funny, when I got my first PA job on a movie shoot many many years ago, my family and friends were most impressed by the fact that I was provided free lunch.  They had never heard of anything like that.?

9 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

There is always catering of course, don't have a choice in the matter.

I like to point out to people in film, I worked for a giant corporation for 5 years.  Total number of times my employer bought me lunch = zero times.  They made you buy your own lunch, with this thing they gave you called a pay cheque.  They also made you pay for your own travel expenses to and from work each day.

R,

Full time employment .. or contract .. regular pay check ..same location each day.. same commute..subsidized  canteen.. restaurants close by.. 

film crew ..not the same working environment, employment conditions..  my next shoot is in Cambodia .. from Tokyo.. I should pay the airfare ..? .. if I have to pay for my own lunch, I will find a restaurant I want , or can afford in that area.. might take me 3 hours to get back to the location..  .. so you would not supply catering if you had a choice .. and make crews pay their commute to set ..  you will have to do even more crew positions than now sir ..I doubt anyone will turn up.. ? 

4 hours ago, Justin Hayward said:

Welcome back!  It's funny, when I got my first PA job on a movie shoot many many years ago, my family and friends were most impressed by the fact that I was provided free lunch.  They had never heard of anything like that.?

Exactly Justin, exactly.

Here in Ontario they have a rather bizarre rule for film people, if Toronto people have to commute out of Toronto for work, they get paid gas, mileage, etc.  If a non Toronto person needs to commute into Toronto for film work, they get paid nothing for travel.  This has always struck me as bizarre, to say that the Toronto film crowd are an entitled bunch would be the understatement of the year!

R,

1 hour ago, Richard Boddington said:

Yaaaawwwwwwn.

R,

Film crews should pay for meals and their travel... Yaaaawwwwn ... just couldn't let this oft suggested gem go without comment .. its usually from far less experienced, first time producers .. seriously I don't think any "real" crew would put up with that .. and you most likely have to shoot the film yourself ? and save money !

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member
Just now, aapo lettinen said:

hungry and frustrated crew makes better art, just watch all the great shoestring indie productions out there  ?

in the past they tortured animals to make the art better but current laws don't enable that so torturing people must do. Everyone knows that there is no art without suffering.... otherwise it would just be a good movie. no survival story to market it to the audience

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Full time employment .. or contract .. regular pay check ..same location each day.. same commute..subsidized  canteen.. restaurants close by.. 

Holiday pay, sick pay, notice given if you're to be let go, extra money if they let you go under certain circumstances, massively tax-advantageous pension arrangements, maternity or paternity leave, provided equipment, provided premises, provided insurance, provided training, and easy recourse to meaningful employment law if someone tries to screw you over.

I think some categories of film crew get paid pretty well for doing, usually, not that much. The majority of freelancers in 2019, though, are better described as working in the gig economy - people who would have had full time jobs under many other circumstances, even in the film industry in decades gone by. The treatment of these people, usually those least able to object, can be absolutely horrific, and even good employers are often guilty of simply assuming highly trained people will be available at the drop of a hat, to the be dropped and not used for months. The wellbeing of these people is always someone else's problem.

The idea that businesses who use freelancers do not get an incredibly good deal out of them - most of the time - is absurd.

P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

Yaaaawwwwwwn.

R,

You really need to stop editing and get some sleep Richard!

By the way, the peasants are revolting beyond the castle walls.. something about a lack of food.. shall I remind them who’s boss by releasing the hounds?

29 minutes ago, Dom Jaeger said:

You really need to stop editing and get some sleep Richard!

By the way, the peasants are revolting beyond the castle walls.. something about a lack of food.. shall I remind them who’s boss by releasing the hounds?

Maybe I should stop insisting I eat on a riser on set? ?

R,

Just curious Richard.  At this budget level, and shooting in Canada, did you sign a union contract for this show?

And for those here that are interested, if one shoots on a studio lot in Hollywood, there is no lunch provided to the crew when working "normal" daytime hours.  And, when I was starting out... "craft service" was coffee and donuts and a can to pay for what one took, at least on a studio sound stage...

55 minutes ago, Bruce Greene said:

Just curious Richard.  At this budget level, and shooting in Canada, did you sign a union contract for this show?

Oh yes, all of them, SAG, ACTRA, DGC, IA667.  Huge bonds put up for each, only one of which came back untouched.

BTW, the DGC, of which I am not a member, made me pay $2, 500.00 to be a permittee to direct my OWN MOVIE.  Now if that is not the essence of stupidity, I don't know what is?  Just a very small smidgen of the BS I have to deal with to get a movie made.

They also wanted me to pay fringes on my own editor fee, after a meeting with the producer, the editor suddenly agreed to a 95% pay cut. ?

R,

2 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

How goes the thing we discussed?

Still my number one priority.  Taking a bit longer to find a viable finance model than I had hoped.

So, now I have one, possibly two projects jumping in ahead.

R,

2 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

Oh yes, all of them, SAG, ACTRA, DGC, IA667.  Huge bonds put up for each, only one of which came back untouched.

BTW, the DGC, of which I am not a member, made me pay $2, 500.00 to be a permittee to direct my OWN MOVIE.  Now if that is not the essence of stupidity, I don't know what is?  Just a very small smidgen of the BS I have to deal with to get a movie made.

They also wanted me to pay fringes on my own editor fee, after a meeting with the producer, the editor suddenly agreed to a 95% pay cut. ?

R,

If you join the DGA would they force you to pay yourself more?

1 hour ago, Phil Connolly said:

If you join the DGA would they force you to pay yourself more?

You mean as editor?  I only have to make minimum wage whether I am a union member or a permittee.  And they base their fringes on the base pay, so, in these situations you simply show them a budget where the editor makes minimum wage and somehow magically manages to complete an entire feature film edit in only three days.  Damn that guy is fast! ?

R,