'Crowded Train' documenting 'chikan' in Japan (NSFW)

Scanned photos on Thanksgiving. Just finished up subway sounds last night. 

'Crowded Train' is a rare study in infrared flash by Ikko Kagari on the practice of 'chikan' (groping women on the train or subway) in Japan. I think it is from the 1980's but not sure. And maybe book title is wrong. Very underground and not easy to find the right info as it varies from source to source. 

Any Japanese here?

What is the present day views of chikan?  It looked like the gals were willing participates back in the day. Or were they just too shy to put up a ruckus?

Araki made a little book on sex shops of Japan. Vintage stuff. They had a nightclub for practicing chikan in a fake subway car.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 1 month later...

Vimeo canned my ass. I lost all my videos.

Here are 2 links for Crowded Train on the Internet Archive. Hopefully it stays put.

https://archive.org/details/crowdedtrain720pd.d.teolijr.a.c.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=Crowded Train 720P

I lost 48 Tumblr websites as well once they changed their policy. Just no continuity with internet.

Really depressing sometimes. You can put in years of work and lose it all in an instant.

Do you know how much work went in to making 48 Tumblrs? Sometimes you just want to give up on it all. What's the use?

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear that.  That is one of the frustrating things about online, it's so easy for things to just be wiped away arbitrarily. 

I have enjoyed seeing these videos you post.  It's good someone's saving some of these old obscure films, and they're interesting to see. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Seeing the series 'More Treasures from American Film Archives' was a big help to me with film preservation. It clued me into not trying to make the films perfect. And in the big picture I am not trying to make them perfect, but I've been trying to clean them up by cutting out some of the splices or short 10 frame defects etc.

I watched some of the films they had in the 'More Treasures from American Film Archives' series and they left in a defect or a few second film decomposition that didn't have any material effect on the film. They could have cut it out and it did not matter, no one would have missed it. But I guess they work under the auspices of every frame is important, even if the frame is mostly obliterated. 

I also liked the discussion of toned and tinted film on that series. They had a very rare 2 tone film there. Film base was dyed, silver emulsion was toned. Their toning and dye commentary was very important to my education of film preservation. 

I got 600+ films to scan in my archive. +/- half a million feet of small gauge film. But have little time to work with it. Film is not the only area I work in. While most of the films I have are silent, maybe 15% are sound. And that is another challenge to do with a silent scanner.

I've placed a few DVD scans of my films (archival and personal experimental films) with institutions as donations. I hope to work more in that area. But it all takes time. 

In any case, film preservation work is some of the most interesting work I could hope to ever encounter....it is just fascinating. Everyday I wake up I can't wait to dig into it.

I wrote to Vimeo twice to complain. Looks like they restored the deleted videos. But have not checked them all.

I wrote to another website to complain about them deleting one of my uploads and they banned me altogether and took down all my content as a bonus. I figured I don't have much to lose with Vimeo so gave the 'squeaky wheel gets the grease' a try. 

7 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Seeing the series 'More Treasures from American Film Archives' was a big help to me with film preservation. It clued me into not trying to make the films perfect. And in the big picture I am not trying to make them perfect, but I've been trying to clean them up by cutting out some of the splices or short 10 frame defects etc.

I watched some of the films they had in the 'More Treasures from American Film Archives' series and they left in a defect or a few second film decomposition that didn't have any material effect on the film. They could have cut it out and it did not matter, no one would have missed it. But I guess they work under the auspices of every frame is important, even if the frame is mostly obliterated. 

I also liked the discussion of toned and tinted film on that series. They had a very rare 2 tone film there. Film base was dyed, silver emulsion was toned. Their toning and dye commentary was very important to my education of film preservation. 

I got 600+ films to scan in my archive. +/- half a million feet of small gauge film. But have little time to work with it. Film is not the only area I work in. While most of the films I have are silent, maybe 15% are sound. And that is another challenge to do with a silent scanner.

I've placed a few DVD scans of my films (archival and personal experimental films) with institutions as donations. I hope to work more in that area. But it all takes time. 

In any case, film preservation work is some of the most interesting work I could hope to ever encounter....it is just fascinating. Everyday I wake up I can't wait to dig into it.

I haven't seen that series,  but did come across this from another forum a while back https://vimeo.com/ondemand/lostemulsion

I haven't watched it, but it looks like it could be interesting.  I picked up an old projector a while back, then started poking around at old films.  It's real neat to see some of the things people filmed in the past that's still floating around.  Shows a lot of insight into society in the past I hadn't really thought about.  Along the way I ended up with a couple old peep show reels.  I've really gotten into those.  I had never really thought about the history of erotica like that.  A lot of people like to bemoan things like that as showing the decline of society, but it's something that's been around for a while.  I really enjoyed seeing The Three Graces for that.

Anyway, glad to see people out there saving these things before they fade away completely!

Also, glad to see your videos restored!

Edited by Leanne Summers