Rickard Aall

Sony F3: Different versions?

Looking at the F3 as an option for ‘upgrading’ from a GH5. I’m all for IQ and HD is completely fine, at the same time I want the functionality of a proper cinema/camcorder camera. But I’m a little confused if the F3L is another version, or if it’s the same. Prices on eBay depending on the L is also two completely different worlds. Can’t seem to find info on this. Can anyone enlighten me?

Much appreciated

I think F3L was a marketing model, same camera but just came with the Sony cine prime lenses.

I know a guy in New York who can modify F3s to record 4:4:4 internal to SxS Pro+ cards if you were trying to find a better version of the camera.

I see! Thank you. I was a little quick on the trigger. One of the listings I was looking at appears to be for two cameras.

I’m thinking to use the Odyssey 7q as recorder, but it could be interesting if I’ll be going to the states sometime.

7Q would be overkill unless you have the SLOG 444 upgrade. Make sure they're promising that upgrade in the listing!

6 hours ago, Max Field said:

I think F3L was a marketing model, same camera but just came with the Sony cine prime lenses.

I know a guy in New York who can modify F3s to record 4:4:4 internal to SxS Pro+ cards if you were trying to find a better version of the camera.

Huh?! How?

I'm not an engineer by any means but essentially he routes something directly from the sensor to an internetal chip/converter thing, then runs that to the SxS slots.

What condition is the camera in after the mod? Does he have to crack it open? I just dropped the dime on a Gemini REcorder thinking if there was a way to do just what you have spoken of. Have you used one of his mods? What happens to the menus??

2 hours ago, Max Field said:

I'm not an engineer by any means but essentially he routes something directly from the sensor to an internetal chip/converter thing, then runs that to the SxS slots.

Fascinating. Could you PM me his details?

With the fx9 coming out .. there are alot and will be more f5/55,s for sale at very reasonable prices .. IMHO thats a better road to go than an F3... unless the f3 is really dirt cheap..

13 hours ago, Max Field said:

7Q would be overkill unless you have the SLOG 444 upgrade. Make sure they're promising that upgrade in the listing!

That's what I'm looking for. Also to make use with a f35 down the road 🙂

3 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

With the fx9 coming out .. there are alot and will be more f5/55,s for sale at very reasonable prices .. IMHO thats a better road to go than an F3... unless the f3 is really dirt cheap..

Aha! That's a good tip! The global shutter on the f55 is a big advantage, but how do they compare image wise? I read some prefering the f3 to be more towards the f35 (highlight roll of etc). I've stared and read myself a little blind, but do really like the images I've seen from all of them

57 minutes ago, Rickard Aall said:

That's what I'm looking for. Also to make use with a f35 down the road 🙂

Aha! That's a good tip! The global shutter on the f55 is a big advantage, but how do they compare image wise? I read some prefering the f3 to be more towards the f35 (highlight roll of etc). I've stared and read myself a little blind, but do really like the images I've seen from all of them

F3 is a very old camera .. you  could argue the f5/55 are too !.. but really you want to go with Slog3 these days .. Im no expert but Im sure the f55 or also the 5 is as "good" or better that the f3...much more would depend on the lenses you are using .. depends your final goals .. if you want to be out there freelancing the f5/55 is 100% the better choice IMHO..