Adapting Hasselblad V lens for use with 16mm Aaton XTR XC film camera

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

....so I'm planning a long telephoto shot in my next project using my Aaton XTR XC in standard 16mm format and I'm thinking of getting creative and interesting and using a telephoto longer than my Cooke 9-50mm. Im thinking of adapting a Hasselblad Zeiss lens (eg the 250mm) via a 'dumb' Hasselblad V to Nikon F adapter........and then fitting that onto the Nikon F to Aaton mount adapter the camera brings.

I know you all say test test test but I can't afford to blow film and I'd rather you lovely people in here advise me cos of your experience......the question is.....light loss....and I going to lose light cos of adapting?????? focus....will I lose infinity focus? or can I rely on 'whatyouseeiswhatyouget' through the eyepiece......yes, some dumb parts in my questions......

I have the problem though of how crap the Nikon F to Aaton mount adapter is on the camera as it slides off 'lock' in my experience

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

lower contrast and additional flaring come into mind. lots of unused lens surface when only using the tiny center crop of the whole image circle of the lens. You may want to try mattebox with hard mattes or if you don't have suitable mattes for it, then mask with black tape to reduce the stray light coming to the front element. 

Impossible to say whether you will get infinity focus. you SHOULD but depends on if the adapters maintain correct ffd and if the lens is properly calibrated. 

If you already have a Nikon to Aaton adapter then you could try Nikon telephoto lenses. All the ones which have a correct aperture ring should work

• Premium Member
Just now, aapo lettinen said:

lower contrast and additional flaring come into mind. lots of unused lens surface when only using the tiny center crop of the whole image circle of the lens. You may want to try mattebox with hard mattes or if you don't have suitable mattes for it, then mask with black tape to reduce the stray light coming to the front element. 

Impossible to say whether you will get infinity focus. you SHOULD but depends on if the adapters maintain correct ffd and if the lens is properly calibrated. 

If you already have a Nikon to Aaton adapter then you could try Nikon telephoto lenses. All the ones which have a correct aperture ring should work

....a Nikon lens will be indeed be easier!!! thanks for coming in on this thread Aapo, I value your input in all things related to film......

You’d only get light loss if you were placing the lens further away than it’s intended FFD, such as using a extension tube for macro work. Obviously, you’d then lose infinity focus as well. As long as your adapters are all accurately made, you should have no problem with either.

• Like 1