Video Teaching Lens Physics?

Max Field

There's so many things like flaring, flange distance, focus breathing, etc that comes with learning about lenses. Does anyone have a link to a video that goes from the ground up on how camera lenses work? To the point of explaining the physics of how all these different problems come to be?

I know about a few problems here and there but I feel like knowing the basis of how it works will help me react to new problems down the line.

• Premium Member

These are pretty simple but clearly presented videos outlining some lens basics.

The 2nd is by Filmmaker IQ who do a number of these sort of videos.

This is a nicely rendered one showing how a Cooke S4 lens works mechanically:

The second one, The History and Science of Lenses, I thought was a good watch. I was reminded of the brilliant Irish science teacher we had at high school who went though a lot of basic principles of optics using the schematic diagrams.  Fun and instructive as the video is, books are better in some ways.....

I tried reading the seminal work on optics by Newton a while ago, and felt I was reading an obscure spiritual text. Very difficult. I had the same problem with Newton on mechanics. Even though the pragmatic essence of mechanics, which enables much of the useful technology that we take for granted in contemporary life, can be expressed as some simple principles in calculus.

So Max, hit the f----in books...enjoy..dive in..