HOW DID THEY DO THIS SPIN??

Max Field

I was watching an old re upload of the Disney Summer Jam 1999 concert and there was a shot where I think it was a flawless barrel roll spin of the camera on one of the backup singers.

Here is a link providing all necessary samples: https://imgur.com/a/rJ5xYGZ

Was this done with just an ENG camera and nice hands? Is there a rig I'm unaware of? The fact they did this in a broadcast workflow astounds me.
All answers appreciated!

7 hours ago, Webster C said:

Just for contrast, here's a Technicolor spinning camera rig. Photos Courtesy Jim Aupperle. We think it was used on Fred Astaire's “The Band Wagon”:

I had known of that rig in the past, but there's no way they had that giant thing on stage with the talent. 

9 hours ago, Adam Froehlich said:

remember seeing this in Reddit, could be similar

Maybe, but the camera wasn't that low in the original example. It's brain-bending on how they did this...

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Max Field said:

Maybe, but the camera wasn't that low in the original example. It's brain-bending on how they did this...

Doesn't look that hard to spin a small DV camera like that -- it looks semi-handheld already.  When you said "flawless" I was expecting to see a perfect circular spin like with a Panatate or 3-axis remote head, etc.

6 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

Doesn't look that hard to spin a small DV camera like that

I understand the spinning of a small DV camera but doesn't the amount of highlights in the lens flare suggest a longer ENG style lens due to more glass elements? Whatever it is, it's set to a wide angle.

What small DV cameras would ABC have used back then? I can't imagine such a big network getting a bunch of VX1000s running around (I also wasn't seeing any in the rest of the footage I skimmed, thought it's possible I missed something) Obviously that wouldn't matter for the sake of shooting in 2019, but if it was not a small camera, there's some rig or technique to learn about.

If the op is elevated to begin such as on a stage or a condor or standing or something to that effect, the perspective doesn't have to be shoulder level where you would assume it is.

Its possible with a large ENG camera to do that roll pretty effortlessly with experience and if the camera/op is elevated throughout, it might be a good indication that there is some something they are standing on off frame for the duration. 

Timecoded here in the video is the cameraman pointing at the singer with the camera at shoulder level, with no elevated point of standing at all. Or holding a mini camera for that matter. The fact we see that there is what drives me even crazier into this mystery

24 minutes ago, Mike Krumlauf said:

Its just a guy spinning a ENG camera with his hands. one point of contact is the handle, the other is the shoulder pad. Done the move myself many times.

Can you make a video demonstrating that? I can do that when it goes low down but I can't figure out the hand placement for it being above chest level.

7 hours ago, Max Field said:

Can you make a video demonstrating that? I can do that when it goes low down but I can't figure out the hand placement for it being above chest level.

If i had an ENG Camera i'd be more than happy but I don't anymore