Unloading mags

Ben l Taylor

I know this may seems strange but when unloading your rushes how do you get it out the mag? Is it simply a case of cutting the stock close to the throat on the take up side? This then creating a short end or waste with whatever is left on the feed side? I’ve seen loads of videos on loading but none of how to actually get stock out again!

if it makes a difference with cameras, I’m asking in regards to a 435 and 416. 

Thanks, Ben

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

If you don't finish the reel then you can simply cut the film at the loop, ease the stock all the way into the mag, remove the exposed stock (in a changing bag or dark room obviously) then either remove the short end (carefully label the can with stock type and length) or re-thread it back into the mag to use the rest.

I always keep several pairs of little kid's blunt scissors in my kit for such purposes. They don't need to be super sharp or pointy just to cut film and better to avoid sharp point things on set.

• 3 weeks later...

This specifically an XTR Prod question but I'd figure I'd comment here rather than starting a new thread....What is the proper way to ease the stock back into the feed side?  Every time I do it I feel like I'm forcing the film back in there and I don't love it.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  Thank you kindly.