Unloading 435 & 416

Ben Luke Taylor

Hi guys, this may sound bizarre but when unloading film when you haven't shot to roll out (which I'm aware should never happen) how do you actually get exposed film out of the mag? Is it a case of cutting close to the magazine throat then taking out the exposed film thus leaving anything left on the feed side as a potential short end? Ive seen many videos on how to load but not how to unload. 

Any tips much appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

• Premium Member

It may be a matter of personal preference and depend on whether you want to immediately shoot the rest of the roll or leave it as a short end.

If wanting to immediately shoot the rest of it then I like to first shoot couple of feet of tail to the takeup side and then cut the film on the takeup side to leave just enough film to fit it to the core again so that I don't need to re thread the mag.

If leaving a short end I will cut the film on the feed side. Then take the short end away. Then roll the film end to the takeup side and take the exposed roll out. That way I don't need to move the mag sprockets to two different directions like when cutting the film on the throat/camera/pressure plate side. A bit easier that way and you will get all the exposed frames out intact.

This is with every camera and mag, not just Arris

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/10/2019 at 9:19 AM, Ben Luke Taylor said:

when unloading film when you haven't shot to roll out (which I'm aware should never happen)

The Arriflex 235 and 435 Advanced manuals don't mention a problem with film rolling out. To the contrary, it tells you that in case it hasn't fully wound into the magazine, you can do it manually. I've never had a problem with letting the film fully wind onto the take-up side.

Attached the 235 manual, see page 34.

235_manual.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

My method is to roll a safety of few seconds of blank film so the previous take gets wound up inside the take-up side, then pull the mag off the camera and cut the film loop. Then there is no question of what has been exposed and needs to be canned out, and what is still fresh stock. And there is a clear visual indicator with the broken loop that the mag can’t be used and needs to be canned out.

If you’re confident that you won’t mix things up in the changing bag, then I like Aapo’s method.