100mm bowl tripod legs recommendation please....

• Premium Member

yes, as simple and pathetic a question as that!!!!!!.....I would appreciate a 100mm bowl tripod legs recommendation please....I've been talking to a really nice person at B+H Photo (Dennis) in New York and he made a few recommends.....the Miller SOLO VJ Carbon Fiber 3-Stage Tripod Legs (expensive!!) and the Benro C474T Carbon Fiber Video Tripod (more affordable)

Its to put an Aaton 16mm XTR on it with a Sachtler Panorama 7+7 fluid head which I love....thanks for any alternate recommends....I have stills camera tripods.....I'm looking to retire an old Manfrotto thats heavy and doesnt go very low with the 100mm bowl

I have an older Sachtler video 20+ on sticks like these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/706568-REG/Sachtler_2073S1_System_20_S1_HD.html/specs

I've used this tripod now for about 13 years and it still works very well.  Lightweight, but very stable.  I'm not sure if your 7+7 head is too big for it though...But if it fits, would be a good match. (I think you have the 7+7 HD which is smaller... and should match well.

These legs also range from relatively low (you won't need baby legs) to pretty high which comes in really handy! (don't walk away from the camera when in it's highest configuration though!)  The built in spreader adds a lot to the stability.  Sachtler makes a lighter/smaller version as well, but it's not really stable enough for me.  I tried it with an alexa mini, and while it holds the weight well enough, it's not stable enough.  Maybe for news work it's enough.

Yes, this tripod is a bit more expensive, but... I think you'll need it for professional motion picture work.  There is nothing worse than a twisting tripod when trying to accurately pan and tilt.