Angenieux 5.9mm w/ PL too close to shutter

Olle Knutson

• Premium Member

So I have an Angenieux 5.9mm and Im trying to put it on to my Arri SR2 but it touches the shutter. The back of the lens is goes too long into the camera. Its a PL converted lens im thinking maybe the conversion is the problem... take a look at the photos and youll see what im talking about.

What to do?

1359117397_Screenshot2019-12-12at16_31_32.jpg.56b03a418f6d14998900b0a39521dd2f.jpg1702694760_Screenshot2019-12-12at16_31_39.jpg.e1c4c94dc8dd89ca5ad87caf213c90c3.jpg

• Premium Member

Yikes! Be really careful not to damage the mirror..

Normally those lenses fit on an SR, so I agree it must be the PL adapter. First thing I notice is that the bevel on the back of the lens needs to line up with the angle of the mirror, but it looks twisted on your lens. So see if you can re-position the PL mount so that the bevel is exactly between the "wings" of the mount, and when mounted on the camera the bevel is at the bottom.

If this basic mistake was made by whoever fitted the adapter, they probably didn't check the back-focus either (meaning how far from the film plane the lens sits). With a fixed focus wide angle like this, the back-focus is quite crucial to make sure the image is in focus, and it doesn't take much to throw the focus out. Usually it's something a technician with a lens projector would need to set up, but you can do a basic check yourself. If you mount the lens (and it clears the mirror) check that objects from about 4 ft to infinity are more or less in focus when the lens is wide open. If you find that focus is noticeably dropping off at the near or far end of that range, the mount will need to be shimmed (or have shims removed).

If the bevel is in the right position but the lens still hits the mirror then the back-focus must be really far out and the mount needs a lot of shimming. (Though normally an adapter like that should be machined to position the lens fairly close to where it should be, within 0.10mm at the most.)

By the way, if your camera is S16, that lens won't quite cover the format.

• Premium Member

Thanks Dom.

I managed to line it up correctly and its now working. But my Minima is having a harder time haha, cant even lock it in place ? 

If you mount the lens (and it clears the mirror) check that objects from about 4 ft to infinity are more or less in focus when the lens is wide open. If you find that focus is noticeably dropping off at the near or far end of that range, the mount will need to be shimmed (or have shims removed).

will check this. Thanks!

Edited by Olle Knutson