Any disadvantage at 36fps?

Dominik Bauch

I did some camera tests for a project and generally 48fps was liked but my co-director felt it might be a little too dreamy and suggested 36fps.

I’ve never shot this frame rate. Any considerations or issues that might arise as it’s not a direct multiple of 24? 

• Premium Member

apart from possible flickering and sound sync issues I don't see much disadvantage to it. 

For sync sound scenes the direct multiplies are much better. If using oddball frame rates you need to set the base fps to a more standard fps like 24 or 25 whereas most cameras have the 2x multiplies readily available as base fps (48, 50, 59,94 fps) which makes sound work much easier

• Premium Member
Just now, aapo lettinen said:

If using oddball frame rates you need to set the base fps to a more standard fps like 24 or 25 whereas most cameras have the 2x multiplies readily available as base fps (48, 50, 59,94 fps) which makes sound work much easier

"conformed in camera without soundtrack, challenging to find the original speed" when using oddball fps with different more standard base fps. 

"just choosing a higher base fps without changing the clip speed in camera. soundtrack readily available in most cases. original speed by default) when using just higher base fps in camera and the base fps is the same than sensor fps

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Dominik Bauch said:

I did some camera tests for a project and generally 48fps was liked but my co-director felt it might be a little too dreamy and suggested 36fps.

I’ve never shot this frame rate. Any considerations or issues that might arise as it’s not a direct multiple of 24? 

The woman in my short was shot at 36fps. Shot on film, no issues.

• Like 1