Cheap diffusion filters - are there any?

Mei Lewis

I'd like to get a round, 82mm diffusion filter, something like Tiffen black promist. Each of those is about £150 / $200 and I'd need more than one. 

Anyone know a cheap alternative? I mean a proper filter I can buy, not smearing vaseline on the lens or similar.

Amazon and ebay don't seem to have anything, but there _are_ cheap versions of other filters, like variable ND and polarizing filters. Are there no cheap diffusion filters because there's little demand? 

Lee softs are cheaper:

https://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera-directory/camera-dir-list/category/soft-set

Although looking at the examples they are bit stronger what you might use on glass filters

I've not personally used them on the front of the lens, but have cut them down and put on the back of the lens for a 2/3" multi-cam shoot and they worked  well enough. 

• Premium Member

A very tricky way to make a diffusion filter is to lightly mist Acetone on an optical acrylic flat.  It's hard to get the mist just right and even;  you only get one chance!

Very tricky, but with this method, you avoid the potential to get a "starburst" pattern on specular highlights that the weave pattern of hosiery can produce.

Edited by Frank Wylie

• 2 weeks later...

OP, you can make diffusion filters very easy with clear coat spray. All you need is a UV or skylight filter and a can of spray.

Here are some examples. 

https://danieldteolijrarchivalcollection.wordpress.com/2019/12/30/creating-your-own-diffusion-filter/

Good luck!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.